Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Teflon tape or pipe thread sealant?

1. Back To Top    #1

Teflon tape or pipe thread sealant?

I'm getting ready to swap out my pump to the Pentair V/S pump. The new pump has female threads at both in and out ports, so I have to use male adapters. I was going to use teflon tape on the male adapters inlet and outlet ports but the owners' manual/installation instructions says to use thread sealant instead of teflon tape. Any thoughts on this? I would rather use teflon tape.
    Bill Moyer
    CWO4 USN (Ret)
    Pensacola, FL
    10k gallon 12x24 in ground pool built 2008, vinyl, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo v/s pump, Hayward sand filter. Using the BBB method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Teflon tape or pipe thread sealant?

I like to use Teflon tape and then Permatex No. 2 on top of the tape.

http://www.permatex.com/products/automo ... ealant.htm

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

This question always illicits a lot of response. I use teflon for any pipe up to about 1"........anything larger than that, I use pipe dope/thread sealant. You will soon see other opinions.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm a paste guy for everything. It comes from being and instrument guy for many years and seeing how T-tape can clog up everything in a system (filters, nozzles, etc.). Well, there's my 2¢.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm like Bama, pipe dope for everything.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Pipe dope tends to offer more security.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Just don't over tighten the fitting into the housing.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

8. Back To Top    #8

Also agreed on teftape contaminating valves, servos, and actuators. It can also be built up too thickly on threads and stress fittings. I find that pipe dope is the better option. Save the tape for the shower head.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

9. Back To Top    #9

I use PTFE String (Loctite 55 or equivilant) with an old school non setting thread sealer (the type that used to be used with hemp). You can back this off without it losing seal unlike Teflon.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

10. Back To Top    #10

This thread is just about a year old, but I recently have used it to try and eliminate a leak/seep at a threaded pipe fitting on two pumps. I tried permatex 2, teflon tape with permatex 2, Oatey great white, Oatey great white with teflon tape, teflon tape.....lots of teflon tape. The only thing that has worked (so far) is Rectorseal 5. The leaks have only been on the pressure/outlet side of the pumps. No problems using permatex 2 on the inlet fittings. Not thrilled at the $$$ and time spent eliminating a leak. But I can remove a pump from the plumbing pretty fast!
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.