Is this plaster erosion?

Feb 26, 2012
Sorry I dont have better pics but these were what I have. From what I have been told about this pool (looking at purchasing this home). The pool was built in early 2007.

Should the plaster be looking like this after 5 years. Plaster erosion? Calcium stains?

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• pool1.JPG
    pool1.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 359
  • pool2.JPG
    pool2.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 360
  • pool3.JPG
    pool3.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 361
Here are some better (close-up) pics

Unfortunately since i am not the homeowner I can not test the pool to post results

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 316
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 316
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 316
That's Calcium scale. And it may be stained with something else, maybe rust or copper from some "nonchlorine sanitizer".

Compare to this older picture of my wall
file.php

There's definitely copper staining. The turquoise is for sure, and possibly the black/grey as well. It does look like there is some calcium scale, so the chemistry has probably been all over the place.

A full set of test results would help. However, the results can only tell us what the current levels are. They can't tell us what they have been previously.

The marks near the main drain make me suspect that someone had thrown about 10 pounds of trichlor 3-inch pucks into the deep end.

Without knowing the history, we can only make a best guess as to what has caused the discolorations. An acid wash and sanding might be a good choice for this pool.

Was this pool ever on bromine?

All, thank you very much for the quick replies. Unfortunately since I am not the homeowner and looking to potentially buy this home i'm not aware of it's entire history. I know that the pool was built in early 2007.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All, thanks for your responses and feedback. I'm not sure if this changes anything but we also just found out that the pool is a saltwater pool. Does that help or change anything as far as what the plaster discoloration might be?

Also I dont know much about pools in general so i know even less about a salt water pool.

Salt does play a role in water chemistry issues, but is not a major player compared to some other issues. Pools in Phoenix Arizona do have a strong tendency to scale due to high calcium hardness of the tap water, high evaporation, and high water temperatures. So calcium scale (which is white to begin with) is likely the problem but usually turns gray, black or turquoise over time due to minerals and dirt sticking to the scale as the others have stated above.

But James may be correct about the possibility of severe gray mottling of the plaster. Mottling and (old) scale can look similar. One way to determine between the two issues is to "feel" the gray areas with your fingers. If it is rough to the touch, and you can scape off the crust with a knife, then that is scale. But if the surface is smooth, then it may mean that it is mottling discoloration of the original plaster job. The integrity (strength) of plaster is probably still good, just discolored.
At this point in time, the plaster job is probably beyond the warranty.

Found this old post in a search, well we obviously did buy the pool. The pH has been high since i started testing it myself 3 weeks ago (pool service prior to that).

Is there anything i can do to remove this scale? Pool company said drain and acid wash would make it look like new.

I have been adding MA to the pool according to poolcalculator.com and the pH is still not going down.

phoenixtx said:
Found this old post in a search, well we obviously did buy the pool. The pH has been high since i started testing it myself 3 weeks ago (pool service prior to that).

Is there anything i can do to remove this scale? Pool company said drain and acid wash would make it look like new.

I have been adding MA to the pool according to poolcalculator.com and the pH is still not going down.
If TA is high, your pH will climb quickly.

If you're willing to wait a few years, running a negative CSI will eventually remove it. If you want it to look good right now, then an acid wash is probably the best bet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.