Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this plaster erosion?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this plaster erosion?

Sorry I dont have better pics but these were what I have. From what I have been told about this pool (looking at purchasing this home). The pool was built in early 2007.

Should the plaster be looking like this after 5 years. Plaster erosion? Calcium stains?

What are your thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this plaster erosion?

Kind of hard to tell by the picture, especially without test results. Could be calcium scale, but thats just a guess.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Let's see... Phoenix.

My vote is Calcium scale. And I bet if you test your water, pH will be above 8.2, CH will be over 800, TA probably well over 100.

But that's just a guess.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are some better (close-up) pics

Unfortunately since i am not the homeowner I can not test the pool to post results
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k

6. Back To Top    #6

a few more

7. Back To Top    #7

That's Calcium scale. And it may be stained with something else, maybe rust or copper from some "nonchlorine sanitizer".

Compare to this older picture of my wall
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

There's definitely copper staining. The turquoise is for sure, and possibly the black/grey as well. It does look like there is some calcium scale, so the chemistry has probably been all over the place.

A full set of test results would help. However, the results can only tell us what the current levels are. They can't tell us what they have been previously.

The marks near the main drain make me suspect that someone had thrown about 10 pounds of trichlor 3-inch pucks into the deep end.

Without knowing the history, we can only make a best guess as to what has caused the discolorations. An acid wash and sanding might be a good choice for this pool.

Was this pool ever on bromine?

9. Back To Top    #9

All, thank you very much for the quick replies. Unfortunately since I am not the homeowner and looking to potentially buy this home i'm not aware of it's entire history. I know that the pool was built in early 2007.

10. Back To Top    #10

I would be cautious about the heater based on the look of the plaster. I would not be surprised if it were ruined by the bad chemistry.

11. Back To Top    #11

All, thanks for your responses and feedback. I'm not sure if this changes anything but we also just found out that the pool is a saltwater pool. Does that help or change anything as far as what the plaster discoloration might be?

Also I dont know much about pools in general so i know even less about a salt water pool.

12. Back To Top    #12

Salt does play a role in water chemistry issues, but is not a major player compared to some other issues. Pools in Phoenix Arizona do have a strong tendency to scale due to high calcium hardness of the tap water, high evaporation, and high water temperatures. So calcium scale (which is white to begin with) is likely the problem but usually turns gray, black or turquoise over time due to minerals and dirt sticking to the scale as the others have stated above.

But James may be correct about the possibility of severe gray mottling of the plaster. Mottling and (old) scale can look similar. One way to determine between the two issues is to "feel" the gray areas with your fingers. If it is rough to the touch, and you can scape off the crust with a knife, then that is scale. But if the surface is smooth, then it may mean that it is mottling discoloration of the original plaster job. The integrity (strength) of plaster is probably still good, just discolored.
    At this point in time, the plaster job is probably beyond the warranty.

13. Back To Top    #13

Found this old post in a search, well we obviously did buy the pool. The pH has been high since i started testing it myself 3 weeks ago (pool service prior to that).

Is there anything i can do to remove this scale? Pool company said drain and acid wash would make it look like new.

I have been adding MA to the pool according to poolcalculator.com and the pH is still not going down.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixtx
    Found this old post in a search, well we obviously did buy the pool. The pH has been high since i started testing it myself 3 weeks ago (pool service prior to that).

Is there anything i can do to remove this scale? Pool company said drain and acid wash would make it look like new.

I have been adding MA to the pool according to poolcalculator.com and the pH is still not going down.
    If TA is high, your pH will climb quickly.

If you're willing to wait a few years, running a negative CSI will eventually remove it. If you want it to look good right now, then an acid wash is probably the best bet.

15. Back To Top    #15

TA has been going down in the last 2 weeks, results as of today:

FC 6.6
    pH 8
    TA 150 (175 2 weeks ago)
    CH 380
    CYA 60

16. Back To Top    #16

I would ask for a $15,000 reduction in the price of the home to deal with the pool. If I were buying a home I would expect the pool to be perfect and would not accept anything less.

Sorry for that. I just saw the post where you purchased it.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!