Question about my R-0001

Feb 26, 2012
Stowe, VT
Hey everyone, I've been reading through this forum for quite some time now, and for the most part could find answers to my questions. This one seems to be an oddity that maybe I just haven't looked hard enough to find an answer.

Any way, I've been using a K-2005 test kit by Taylor to do all of my pool readings on both the hot tub and pool. When I test the chlorine in the pool using the R-0001 my sample turns cloudy immediately. After adding R-0002 I'm able to get a clear reading. However this does not happen when I test my hot tub. Any idea as to what this might indicate? Since I've taken over, I've switched from trichlo to sodium hypochlorite, as these bodies of water are indoor.

Pool levels -
FC: 2.0
TC: 2.0
CC: 0
Alk: 100
pH: 7.1
Cal hardness: 650
Temp: 85 F.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The DPD #1 reagent is a phosphate buffer for pH while the DPD #2 reagent is the DPD organic dye. Perhaps your Calcium Hardness (CH) is high since a phosphate buffer could cause cloudiness if CH is high.

I assume you know that it would be better for you to get the FAS-DPD test. Since you already have the Taylor K-2005, you can get just the FAS-DPD Chlorine & CC test at tftestkits.net.

chem geek said:
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The DPD #1 reagent is a phosphate buffer for pH while the DPD #2 reagent is the DPD organic dye. Perhaps your Calcium Hardness (CH) is high since a phosphate buffer could cause cloudiness if CH is high.

I assume you know that it would be better for you to get the FAS-DPD test. Since you already have the Taylor K-2005, you can get just the FAS-DPD Chlorine & CC test at tftestkits.net.

Thanks! I did not realize that using FAS-DPD was that much better. To be honest I've been a little nervous about using the powder, I shall purchase some and give that a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.