Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about my R-0001

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about my R-0001

Hey everyone, I've been reading through this forum for quite some time now, and for the most part could find answers to my questions. This one seems to be an oddity that maybe I just haven't looked hard enough to find an answer.

Any way, I've been using a K-2005 test kit by Taylor to do all of my pool readings on both the hot tub and pool. When I test the chlorine in the pool using the R-0001 my sample turns cloudy immediately. After adding R-0002 I'm able to get a clear reading. However this does not happen when I test my hot tub. Any idea as to what this might indicate? Since I've taken over, I've switched from trichlo to sodium hypochlorite, as these bodies of water are indoor.

Pool levels -
    FC: 2.0
    TC: 2.0
    CC: 0
    Alk: 100
    pH: 7.1
    Cal hardness: 650
    Temp: 85 F.
    69,000 Gal gunite indoor IG pool.
    5 HP Emerson - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter x2
    5,000 Gal gunite outdoor IG hot tub
    2 HP Sta-Rite - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about my R-0001

Welcome to TFP!

The DPD #1 reagent is a phosphate buffer for pH while the DPD #2 reagent is the DPD organic dye. Perhaps your Calcium Hardness (CH) is high since a phosphate buffer could cause cloudiness if CH is high.

I assume you know that it would be better for you to get the FAS-DPD test. Since you already have the Taylor K-2005, you can get just the FAS-DPD Chlorine & CC test at tftestkits.net.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about my R-0001

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Welcome to TFP!

The DPD #1 reagent is a phosphate buffer for pH while the DPD #2 reagent is the DPD organic dye. Perhaps your Calcium Hardness (CH) is high since a phosphate buffer could cause cloudiness if CH is high.

I assume you know that it would be better for you to get the FAS-DPD test. Since you already have the Taylor K-2005, you can get just the FAS-DPD Chlorine & CC test at tftestkits.net.
    Thanks! I did not realize that using FAS-DPD was that much better. To be honest I've been a little nervous about using the powder, I shall purchase some and give that a try.
    69,000 Gal gunite indoor IG pool.
    5 HP Emerson - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter x2
    5,000 Gal gunite outdoor IG hot tub
    2 HP Sta-Rite - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter