Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add acid on refill?

1. Back To Top    #1

Los Gatos, CA

Add acid on refill?

I just drained about 50% of my pool and am refilling. The fill water has CH of 120 which is much lower than my water, but the TA is high at 210. The ph is also high 7.8, but the water is cold so it is not really too high. The process of filling introduces some aeration as the hose water splashes into the pool. I can also turn on spa fill mode and get a nice waterfall going. Should I add acid during the refill to help lower TA or wait until the pool is filled and do it all then?

owner of ~37,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Intelliflo VS+ filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, Jandy Aqualink RS-6 with iAqualink upgrade, The Pool Cleaner 4x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils, Solar-Breeze NX.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    You want good circulation going when you add acid. Otherwise the acid can sink to the bottom and possibly damage the pool surface. If you have the main circulation/filter pump running then you could go ahead and add some acid now if you want. If you only have the garden hose running then I would wait till the main pump is running to add acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana
    210 isn't really terribly high with your pH at 7.8. My fill water is over 400ppm TA. You will be able to work on 210 TA slowly after the pool is filled. No need to be in a hurry.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat