Pool Pilot Low Amps reading

peco

Jun 9, 2008
I'm having a problem with my Pool Pilot Dig-220 (SG-36). I've read a lot on this forum and it's been very helpful. :goodjob: It's reading Low Amps. It's running at Power Level 2 and it reads volts 28, amps 2.1, salt 3000. I ran it in boost mode and the readings stayed the same. I then put in a brand new cell (from AutoPilot) and the readings changed...volts 16, amps 4.2 and salt 5100. I then ran the new cell in boost mode and the readings were the same(16, 4.2 and 5100).

I've checked all the connections and they look fine and tried a new tri-sensor cable. I did check the main circuit board and the upper left resisters (R5, R10, R26, R27, R25, R30, R21 and R22) were brown....not blue like the others. I did not see any other 'burnt' spots on any circuit boards. I checked the fuses (3 of them) and they all look good. There is 1 that is all white so I can't tell if it's bad or not (it's right under the brown resisters). I've also checked that 220v is being received at the unit.

I'm thinking it's a bad main circuit board (part 883n). Is there anything else I can try before I buy a new board or even a new unit?

Thanks, Val.

Val, just for fun, run it on Power Level 1, and run a test....then on Power Level 3, and run a test, and let me know what the amps and volts are. With the SC-36 cell, it's possible for the voltage to be 16, but the amperage should be around 6.5 instead of 4.2 amps.
The frosted fuse can be tested with a continuity or ohm tester.
Can you also have your salinity tested, then see if its the same as what the unit is reading. If the salt level is actually lower than the display, that may be your problem....although you should the voltage increase into the low to mid 20's range first.

Sean, thanks for the reply. I checked the readings again (with the original cell). Volts 28, Amps 2.8 Salt 4800. I then set it to power level 1 and let it run for 30 minutes. Volts 28, Amps 2.8 and Salt 4800. I changed it to Power Level 3 and let it run for 30 minutes again. Volts 28, Amps 2.7, Salt 4700.

I did have the salt checked and checked it myself and we both read 2700. Should I recalibrate and see what happens?

Thanks, Val.

I recalibrate the system for the correct salt reading but again it made no difference. I checked the fuses again and they look fine. It will cost $100. for someone to come look at it....worth it or just buy a new DIG-220?

Actually sounds like you have a cell issue or are in need of a new cell. High volts and low amps.
If the power module was bad, it would give you a low volts and low amps, or 29 volts and 0.1 amps.
Have you removed the cell to inspect for scale build up? If it is clean, if you inspect the two outer blades, are they straight across, or receded along the leading edges? A worn out cell will show some wear on the leading edge of the two outer blades.

I put in a new cell and it's reading 16 volts and 4.2 amps. amps went up and the volts went down :?: In boost mode the volts and amps both dropped a little (15, 4.0). Maybe it's the cable?

Peco, Im sorry. I completely missed where you already said that you got and tried a new cell.
It's not the cell cord. A bad cell cord would result in high volts, low amps.
It does sound like a damaged power module, PN 16084. The board, 833, is no longer available alone.

Just an update. I replaced my power module and everything seems to be running fine. I did replace my cell because that happen to be bad at the same time (I tried the old cell with the new power module and got a high volt and low amp reading).

I also noticed that my tri-sensor cable has to be connected just right. I was getting bad readings with the new power module and new cell and re-connected the tri-sensor cable and it's been working great for a few days now.

Thanks Poolsean... and Josh at SaltPoolGuys; great service and a great price. :goodjob: Val.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.