Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck fountain piping algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck fountain piping algae

So we recently purchased this house with a pool and there is a PVC pipe directed straight up uncovered towards the sky. Took a look today and it was filled with standing water and green algae. I took some extra PVC pipe and made an attachment so it wouldn't blow into the pool and with pump running I opened the valve isolating it. I blew it out for 10 seconds then shut valve, soaked up some water then poured in a dose of CL. And covered pipe. Should I shock the pool and refill that piping with the new water after shocking or should the CL I added do the trick? It's the longest piping length as its furthest from pump.
    8500Gal, SWG (T-15), Vinyl, fiberglass steps, Pentair 3/4HP 85GPM, Cartridge filter, Borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck fountain piping algae

I'd just run the fountain for a while and keep an eye on your chlorine, and run it for a while every day to prevent future growth. The algae will only grow near the opening because it needs sunlight.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I'd just open the valve a little bit so water is always circulating through it.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

4. Back To Top    #4

There's nothing hooked up to it currently. I poured in some bleach and capped it off with a PVC cap.
    8500Gal, SWG (T-15), Vinyl, fiberglass steps, Pentair 3/4HP 85GPM, Cartridge filter, Borates

5. Back To Top    #5

The bleach and cap should stop it from happening for a long time. Algae needs sunlight to grow and the cap solved that and it'll keep the bleach from getting degraded by the sun.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit