Baracuda G3 problems

dcuff

Feb 25, 2012
Hello,
New to tfp and came to get help/advice with my pool.
My pool configuration is; sunset pool, one skimmer, one main drain, two returns to pool, dt filter, hayward super II pump (self prim), maybe 20k+ gallons
Two questions/problems: (1) Barracuda G3 gets stuck on drain and (2) cleaning path under my 16 mil solar cover is less than half the size of the pool.

So, I recently purchase a barracuda G3 cleaner.
When installing it I tested the water flow with their testing device (pictured here http://www.poolsupplysales.com/v/vspfil ... 7500-1.jpg ) the flow was only at 1. After completely cleaning my dt filter it increased to 1 1/2. The manual says it sb 3 (total possible is 1-5). I adjusted the flow valved supplied with the cleaner to 3 (which is the max - pictured here http://www.1800pools.com/static/images/docs/flow.jpg ).

I spoke to the place I bought it and they said I need to adjust my flow from the skimmer to the main drain and replace my grate drain cover with the California compliant drain cover (distributes the flow in a wider circle.

Problem 3: I can't find the flow valved to my skimmer / MD. I just have one vacuum hole in the bottom of my skimmer. I don't see a valve anywhere. Does the bottom of the skimmer plate come off and the valve is underneath?

Hope this makes sense and thanks for the time. I will buy a Starbucks for your time if you like.

Topic split off on its own for appropriate forum continuity. -- 257WbyMag, Forum Moderator

Welcome to TFP!

If you can post a pic of your equipment setup, we might be able to help you ID your valves.

Baracudas and other comparable suction side cleaners can be very tempermental. They are often quite finicky when it comes to water movement and water flow requirements.

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

If you can post a pic of your equipment setup, we might be able to help you ID your valves.

Baracudas and other comparable suction side cleaners can be very tempermental. They are often quite finicky when it comes to water movement and water flow requirements.

I did not have email notify on and did not read your post...still having the problem and also Baracuda get stuck on bottom drain often.
I will take some pics of my equipment and update this question.... Thanks for your time...

Sure, here are a few manufacturers, models, and corresponding sku numbers. You can check these out and see what you think!

Drainsafe Drain Cover Sku #: DS360
Paramount SDX Retrofit Safety Drain for Concrete Sku #: 004192221201
AquaStar makes some square drain safety covers, but they are pretty expensive.

Make sure the drain you choose is the appropriate size for your application!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We recently purchased the Baracuda pool cleaner and had the same problem that we've noticed a lot of you having, not cleaning the entire pool and going around in circles. I finally found the answer to the problem and now it works great. Saves me hours of cleaning time, pool is clean and now I can enjoy it a lot more.
To solve the problem you start out with 30 ft of hose length (I have 20' round above ground pool) and after 1 hr I remove 1 section of hose at a time till the all the pool is done. This will get approx 95% of the bottom of the pool. No, I can't just start it and leave but I'm also not standing there for 2 hrs cleaning the pool. I installed hinges on my ladders so I can just raise them up out of the way instead of having to remove them completely to keep the cleaner from getting stuck...
We changed over to salt water system and sand filter (we use the glass and not sand) and now my pool is pretty much trouble free. My family loves the feel of the salt water while in and after the pool. More affordable and enjoyable. Hope this helps some of you out...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.