Plan of Attack

Aug 22, 2011
Frisco, TX
Well I think it is about time to tackle the pool. I have graduated from pool school.

FC 3.0
CC 0.2
CH 220
CYA 60
TA 110
PH 7.6

Salt 700, I think the Salt cell has been dead for a while. Pentair IC20 will be ordered soon, along with the Test Kit.

Owned the pool since mid October and has had FC at 0 several of the times I checked it. I have not followed the Shock process yet. The pressure has moved up to about 28%. The clean filter indicator is at 31%. I think it was closer to 20% in October. Pool is clear but not sparkling.

I think I need to lower TA and then Shock. Any Suggestions for a plan of attack.

Thanks

What is your water temperature? If your salt cell isn't producing chlorine, it may not be because it is broken. The water temperature may be to cold for it to work.

Unless you are seeing algae, I really don't see a reason to shock right now. If your water was green or your CC was greater than 0.5, then yes. What I would do though is raise your FC to 7. With your CYA at 60, that is your target FC. 3 is too low. If your salt cell was producing chlorine, then that would be a different story. Right now it isn't though and so you are essentially running a freshwater pool.

TA adjustment is not a pressing item. It should fall into place with acid additions to keep your pH in check. You can play with the TA later on if your want to.

1. How are you chlorinating without the salt cell?

2. 700ppm is too low for the salt cell to operate, are you sure it's broken?

Let's get that cleared up first and then plan the attack. Shocking will certainly be part of it (later) but I wouldn't do anything until you can test everything yourself. If the SWG has been operating previously, your salt should be nowhere near that low.

Your numbers and the water condition are pretty good. A few clarifications, a shock process, and you'll be crystal clear for the summer! :mrgreen:

breweb01,

So, since you live near Dallas, I am guessing your water temp is maybe somewhere around 60 and will start to climb pretty soon. In that case, I would suggest you shock the pool and get the water crystal clear. I would assume to ignore the SWG for now.

1. Most filters have a psi indicator rather than a percentage but it sounds like your first step is going to be to clean the cartridge.

2. Once that's complete, I would begin the shock process by following the article in Pool School. YOu will need to test your FC pretty accurately so, if you are going to purchase a good kit with FAS/DPD chlorine testing, NOW is the time to do so. Start the process once your kit has arrived......you have time. (You'll need to bring your FC up to around 24ppm with a CYA of 60)

3. Shock by using liquid chlorine (bleach). Remove the Floater from your pool or, at least, don't replenish it as your CYA is high enough already.

4. Once you have completed the Shock Process, recheck your filter percentage and clean again, if necessary. Your water should be sparkling clear and you'll be able to decide what to do with your SWG from that point or you may simply choose to chlorinate manually.

Thanks Dave, received my test kit last week. Below are my first results. Filter is now clean. Water temp is 63

TC 2.5
PH 7.7
FC 2.5
CC <0.5 just barely pink
TA 80
CH 190
CYA 42-50

I tried to test CH on my tap water and the reagents almost look like they are suspended as tiny little specs. Anyone else in the North Dallas area know what the CH usually runs?

Get your chlorine settled in first. How have you decided to chlorinate? Did you shock? What does your water look like?

The CH can hold off for a while.....I would suggest getting a definitive chlorine routine established first. (You are just a bit low right now)

Bleach for right now, just added 96oz to get it to 5.9 using the pool calculator. It tested at 6.5 after about 15 minutes of brushing. Pool looks good just not sparkling. Plan on Shocking this weekend or after we are done using it.

Heater is on going to raise the pool about 25 degrees or so for the rest of the week. It should be around 80 for the next few days and I am ready to get in!

I also plan on raising the salt to 3400 and cleaning the current cell just to make sure it is dead before ordering a new one.

Okay, I understand where you are. Yeah, I would suggest shocking just as soon as you can. That'll get your pool crystal clear and ready for the summer. Be sure to use the shock process described in Pool School to get the water really clear.

That interference you are seeing on the CH test is a known issue with the Taylor CH test but I have just looked for 10 minutes and cannot find the link. Perhaps someone will read this. take pity on me and help out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.