Plumbing with ABG/DE Filter

Jul 27, 2011
NY
I searched extensively and surprisingly couldn't find anything. I want to install an Intex SWG to my ABG pool. However, the DE filter has its output on the top, and the return to the pool is at the same height (about 2.5ft). Would the SWG have to be set on a box at the height of the return? Otherwise it would have to have 4 90 degree elbows for the plumbing to reach it, and this sounds fairly restrictive.

Some pictures might help to describe the issue. Is this because you have flex PVC in a straight line directly from the filter to the return and you are afraid it won't support the SWG hanging in the air? Also, what were you proposing to do with the 90s?

Well, rigid PVC, but yes, it's in the air and I wouldn't trust the weight of the SWG. For the 90s, I would think it would involve the pipe exits the top of the filter, runs for a bit, bends 90 degrees, goes to the ground, bends 90 into the SWG, then the same in reverse to the return jet.

Rigid PVC supports nearly all SWGs albeit probably not as high as yours but I don't think that would be an issue. I would just put it as close to the filter as possible for extra support.

mas985 said:
Rigid PVC supports nearly all SWGs albeit probably not as high as yours but I don't think that would be an issue. I would just put it as close to the filter as possible for extra support.

Don't they weigh a lot? The pictures I've seen show the salt sitting on top, and amazon lists the shipping weight as 35lbs. Wouldn't that be 75lbs with the salt in it?

I thought they had a version where the cell could detach from the main unit but looking again, I don't think they do. They all look to be made for the flex hose attachments and sit on ground.

However, here is someone who did some retrofitting for ridged PVC:
twin-intex-swg-installation-modded-to-run-24hrs-t36140.html?hilit=Intex SWG Manual Intex SWG

Another long thread on Intex SWG:
intex-swg-t1090-20.html?hilit=Intex%20SWG%20Manual%20Intex%20SWG

Here is a video of one on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tj7xeu52Ro

Manual:
http://slink.intexdevelopment.com/b2c/B ... nk=magento

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.