Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic acid usage.

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic acid usage.

Hello All,
    I'm just trying to get an idea of (normal) chemical (acid) usage. I realize this will change from pool to pool due to size, fill water, construction and so on. I go through approximately a gallon of acid a month for my 17K pool.
    My pool is 17K gallons with a SWCG, my TA is approx 80, CH is approx 525, I try to maintain the PH between 7.5 and 7.8 and I do use borates in my pool. I'm happy with the way the pool looks, water clarity is fine. My neighbor commented that our pool looks great, I guess the prior owners didn't maintain the water quality as well as I've done. (Thanks to this forum!)
    I guess my bottom line question is 1 gallon of MA normal usage for a 17K pool? Thanks in advance for your response.
    Bob
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic acid usage.

That calcium level seems a bit high. Watch your CSI or you might scale up with the higher pHs. Check your fill water level too. CH stays in the water despite evaporation just like salt and CYA do.

The acid seems a bit high too.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

About 0.8 (zero dot eight) gallons per month with Simpool maintaining automatically pH at 7.4

4. Back To Top    #4

All pools are different. A gallon a month on a 17,000 gallon pool with a SWCG doesn't sound unreasonable. The amount that it takes to keep your pH within normal limits for your pool is the normal amount of acid to use.

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds low to me. I have been adding generally 2 cups every 2 or 3 days in a 16K pool. I don't have a SWCG, but I do have scale that is ever-so-slowly dissolving.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the input. I keep my TA low to keep the PH from climbing up too fast and needed to add to the CH to keep the CSI in range, otherwise it would be well below -.6 and that's not what I want.

Thank you.
    Bob
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

As contrast I add about a cup or so every couple of months. A gallon of acid will last me more than two years. Of course I use liquid to chlorinate.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Around here we have tap water high in Ph, high water evaporation due to high temperatures in the summer, and highly alkaline soil that gets blown into the pool with some regularity due to our dust storms. Using liquid chlorine I tend to add a cup of muriatic acid at least every week, and that's with keeping ph about 7.8. I decided not to add an SWG when I talked to people around here that have them about their acid usage. The variables of tap water ph, how often you add water, rain, dust, etc all affect a persons acid usage.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Remember aeration will drive the PH, so if you aerate a lot during the summer to keep the water temp down, as we have to in Phoenix, your acid usage will be quite high.
    13000 Gallon Shasta Pool In Ground 2004
    Gunite/PebbleTech, AutoPilot Salt Water, Cartridge Filters, Ozone, In Floor Cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

3 month old pool here, I'd be really happy if it just used 1 gallon/month....I suspect that we're going through 1 gallon every 1-2 weeks, most notably when intellichem is dispensing acid to keep ph stable while SWG is running at 100% for an extended period.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.