Need a good pool ladder

I'm hoping to pour my pool deck in about two weeks and need to get my ladders for the deep end ordered. I'm looking for the dual rail type with the steps that go down into the water about three feet and rest against the inside wall of the pool. I want to be able to remove them most of the time. I also need a single rail type for the steps out in the shallow end.

I've found several online stores that carry them, but it's hard to judge quality that way. Does anyone have some positives or negatives about the ladders they have? Since the posts get set into the decking concrete, I'd like to get some heavy duty stainless steel units that won't bend or corrode.

Looking for a quality pool ladder...

Thanks

if im reading your post right you are going to install the ladder right into the deck
im just making sure that you are going to use the mounting jigs with ladder cups on them this way you can take them out as you please

all your parts said:
if im reading your post right you are going to install the ladder right into the deck
im just making sure that you are going to use the mounting jigs with ladder cups on them this way you can take them out as you please

Like this..... depending on what you are mounting on...............

srsmithas100a.gif

Also, some of the types of ladders available are on this page.

http://www.inyopools.com/ladders_vinyl.aspx

Do a search for swimming pool ladders and see what you come up with. But you better get going on it since you said you would need it in about 2 weeks.

Belldiver, IF my memory is correct :roll: - you are planning on a SWCG (if I'm wrong - this post becomes a rant :oops: )

I've encountered a LOT of trouble with salt pools and ladders & handrails and anchors (aluminum)! The trouble is that the disparate metals in a saline water environment tend to corrode making the rails a real PITA to remove!! I've got theories on how to ameliorate this, but no practical experience :(

We use S.R. Smith ladders and they are a good product! However, in salt pools some of the washers have tended to 'rust out' - all the metal that is exposed to pool water should be stainless steel but I've seen a number of companies that either didn't use stainless or have gotten 'bad' stainless from their suppliers :cry:

Waste,

Yes on the SWCG. And I've seen many times, aluminum turn into a sacrificial anode for steel in salt water environments. Actually the anodes we install on the oil rigs offshore are 1000# blocks of aluminum alloy and you can actually see them bubbling and cooking away underwater.

I'm wondering if I could use sch 40 or 80 PVC for the ladder sleeves instead of the cast aluminum. If memory serves me, one of the ladders I saw online was 1.9" OD. That would just about work out right. I'm not home right now to measure the ID of some 2" PVC, but I'll check it out when I get back off the ship tomorrow. I wonder why none of the ladder folks haven't caught on to this. I may just use some PVC collars and with a bushing of some sort, they can double as umbrella sleeves when the ladder is not in use.

Thanks...

OK, so I found S.R. Smith products and they seem like a good product. They have deck anchors made out of cast aluminum (nope), plastic, or cast bronze. I like the look of bronze and would rather set them into the concrete than plastic.

I don't imagine I'd have any corrosion problems with the bronze and the SWCG eh?

Thoughts???

I've used the SR Smith and Interfab SS rails and have good luck with both. You may want to take a look at the rails made by saftron (www.saftron.com). They are a high impact polymer and cost about the same as SS. The come in 5 colors. No I don't work for saftron, just saw them at a couple of shows.

Jay, I was 'on the fence' about mentioning the plastic or brass anchors. The plastic ones are ... PLASTIC and as such the ones I've seen don't hold up well (but perhaps it's because the ones I've seen are in the NE and the winter conditions here may well effect the durability) I'm also not sure how well the brass ones hold up (they are much more expensive, I think, and so I haven't seen any of those in SWCG environments)

1 thing I will talk about is that the anchor cups have holes in the bottom so that they can DRAIN!!! - most installers cover these holes so that concrete won't get in them :evil: -- however, all it would take is a screwdriver through the hole(s) while doing the final finish on the deck to allow them to drain :hammer: As you are the GC on this, you can have the deck guys do that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, here's what I've found from S.R. Smith...

The plastic deck anchors (AS-100P) are $29.99 It includes a bronze wedge and stainless wedge bolt.

The residential bronze deck anchor (AS-100B) are also $29.99. Bronze wedge-stainless bolt.

The institutional bronze deck anchor (AS-100) is $129.99. Same as above.

They all actually look pretty good. I think I'm gonna go with the residential bronze anchors, as I need 6 of them and the institutionals would add up to alot of $$$.

The plastic ones here do look solid and of the same design as the bronze, but I like the look of the bronze. I shouldn't have corrosion problems with either as far as I can tell.

Here's a link for S.R. Smith ladders and rails...

http://www.srsmith.com/safety_security/ ... +%2B+Rails

And another link for a PDF of the deck anchors...

http://www.srsmith.com/_posted_resource ... rts150.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.