Unusual white deposits on new plaster..

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
Then pool was resurfaced about 3 months ago. every week I have to knock these white deposits off the wall with the pool brush but they keep coming back and in the same place. Anyone know why this is happening? Thanks!

We had problems getting water to fill this pool. The rain water tank ran out and we were forced to use well water which was brackish.

These are the latest levels:
CSI: -0.26
FC: 4.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.7
TA: 70
CH: 300
CYA: 80
Salt: 3100
Temp: 72
Filter: Cartridge
429355_197427917025675_100002754036991_260864_2078568314_n.jpg

It is likely to be calcium given the age. You are in an area where hard water is the norm. We also don't know the mix time used. Is it possible it was hot out too when it was applied? So many variables. All you can do is brush it until it stops.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
It is likely to be calcium given the age. You are in an area where hard water is the norm. We also don't know the mix time used. Is it possible it was hot out too when it was applied? So many variables. All you can do is brush it until it stops.

Scott

Thanks Scott. No it was cool.

We don't know what was in the rainwater from the tank. I should always test all fill water and will from now on but still we had no choice but to use what ever we could get. Yes even with the rain water filling half the pool we used well water to fill the rest. and the CH after was 310.

So you mean the shell was old and could cause this deposit? The finish we did about 3 months ago. However right away I noticed these deposits. we used freestone diamond brite the owner supplied. He also had his work guys take the old surface off and we just came in to prepare the surface for finish and tiled with their tiles.

PoolGuyNJ said:
The shell didn't cause this.

That it took a week to fill it and the uncertainty of the water used for mixing did it.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I figured that. I guess owner will just have to keep brushing until they go away. still only a couple and owner doesn't seem bothered at all. But I was.

>> with the rain water filling half the pool we used well water to fill the rest.

In the deep south we use special membrane tanks (think giant scuba tanks) where any type of water source (well, municipal, storage tank) is suitable as it filters the water clear from 90-95% of all the minerals (iron, calcium, etc)

The cost at fillup is just 100 for the tank rental and well worth the cost in total avoidance of issues at startup.

susa said:
>> with the rain water filling half the pool we used well water to fill the rest.

In the deep south we use special membrane tanks (think giant scuba tanks) where any type of water source (well, municipal, storage tank) is suitable as it filters the water clear from 90-95% of all the minerals (iron, calcium, etc)

The cost at fillup is just 100 for the tank rental and well worth the cost in total avoidance of issues at startup.

we only have one water truck on the island and its all rusty on the outside...don't know about the inside. but it's $100 for the truck per load and $0.16 per gallon of water. way too costly. most rain water tanks here are either the above ground plastic tanks (which never hold enough water) and the below ground which is concrete and might hold 20,000 gallon if you are lucky to find one that size. and the home owners like to paint them!! so you see the problems we have. The city water is the best bet for filling as it has CH in it. Only problem is sometimes there is algae and rust as well. I need to get one of those metal traps to attach to the hose for filling. I try to start the pool up as soon as possible. I cut skimmers off and run on the main drain to get the water filtered and sanitized. we use drinking water for mixing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.