Tan Streaks from Salt?

bluenoise

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2007
Alamo, CA
Hello, gang-

I recently added about 85 pounds of coarse solar salt to my pool to kick off the season. Now there are tan streaks leading from the shallow end, where I poured in most of the salt, toward the drain. The water and white plaster surface otherwise look great, but I don't know where these tan streaks came from or how to get rid of them. Scrubbing with a brush doesn't seem to affect them. As far as I could tell, the salt was completely clean before I dumped it in. The water chemistry is well-balanced.

Has anyone seen this before or know how to get rid of it?

Thanks!

Are you sure it was solar and not food grade cause it sounds like it might be iron staining. Try a vitamin c tablet on the stain and see if it disappears. Just hold a tablet on the stain for about 20 seconds or so. If it's iron the stain will magically disappear and it's easy to remove.

Yes, it was the same brand and product I used when I first started up the SWG last summer. It claims to be over 99.6% pure. The brand is "Diamond Crystal," I think.

I'll try the vitamin C trick. Thanks for the tip!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.