Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I check flow rate.

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I check flow rate.

I have a autopilot SWG that is not working. I am getting a check flow flashing alarm and the unit is not generating chlorine. More than likely the power supply is bad, but before I replace it at a $600 cost I need to check the flow rate. The pool builder use Flex pipe when he build the pool 6 yrs ago, I have read on this forum that flex hose can collapse. So whats the best way to check the flow rate and what should it be for the autopilot?
    41K L shape Vinyl IG, 2.0hp Jandy stealth pump, 300lb sand filter, Autopilot Dig-220 SC-60 cell, Dolphin Oasis Z5.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I check flow rate.

Not sure about the AP required flow rate, but if you have a nice strong flow coming out of your returns, it should be more than sufficient. Is the filter guage PSi reading within it's normal range?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

PSI on the gauge is showing 7psi on low speed and 17 to 20psi on highspeed
    41K L shape Vinyl IG, 2.0hp Jandy stealth pump, 300lb sand filter, Autopilot Dig-220 SC-60 cell, Dolphin Oasis Z5.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your pressure readings look ok. You can take the tri-sensor out and rubber band the flow switch closed or jump it out and that'll tell you if it's the sensor or the main board. WARNING: forcing the flow switch is a test only, DO NOT run the unit with the flow switch disabled.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I had a service rep for autopilot come out last summer to check the problem out and while here he put in a new tri sensor to see it would fix the problem. It did not, still had the low flow rate. He checkd the cell and told me I needed a new one. So I bought one and this did not fix it either, I really believe that the power supply is bad. I just wanted to make sure that I didnt have a flow issue before spending the $600 for a new one.