Adjusting CYA & Borates

Feb 21, 2012
So pool info is in sig. Just purchased the house with the pool and was relaying on the local pool store to do my testing :hammer: got my Taylor k2006 into and what ya know. CYA is 0 they were telling me it was 40ppm. So I need to adjust that up but I would also like to finish topping off my Borates from 30 upto 50. I plan on ramping CYA up to 80ish but I know that will also drop my pH roughly 1.7ish the remaining borates req will raise my pH up.

Adding 92oz of stabilizer is -1.5ppm pH
Adding 200oz of Borax is +2.6ppm pH plus some higher TA
Leaving pH -1.1 from before so 6.3ppm
Adding 95oz of 31.45 MA is -2.7ppm and drop TA

So basically I'm assuming I should wait to add one or the other or risk driving my pH down through the ground.

Latest results
FC 7.5
CC .5 maybe lower
pH 7.4
CYA 0
TA 80
Borates 30

So basically I'm assuming I should wait to add one or the other or risk driving my pH down through the ground.
Interesting. I believe you can carefully calculate your dosage of CYA (which you have already done), place it into the pool, and then start your borates additions immediately after.

The CYA will take several days to dissolve in your water so it's negative pH contribution will occur over a long period. The ph changes caused by borates and muriatic acid are completed usually within an hour so you will be able to keep everything well within limitations by testing frequently as you go.

Secondly, a short, temporary spike (up or down) in pH is not a deal breaker. It's the long term (weeks and weeks) excesses that cause problems for your pool.

I wasn't sure how long the CYA drift would take to kick in I know you dose CL as I'd its already there. I think I'll add the borates wait a full day and then drop in the sock of CYA then readjust then CL, since I'm not in a hurry. Water is still 56 degrees

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.