Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Piping

1. Back To Top    #1

Plattsburgh, NY

New Piping

I'm looking to replace the pipes used on my pool. The previous owners used ABS, which isn't designed to be used under pressure. I'd like to replace it with schedule 40 PVC. Does anyone have any diagrams or pictures of their plumbing so I can get an idea of how to redo it? Currently the pipe has a 90 degree elbow coming out of the skimmer. Then the pipe runs at a 45 degree angle for about 15 feet until it connects to a shut-off. Then it bends 90 degrees and goes into the pump. It exits the pump, bends 90 degrees again, and goes into the filter. After leaving the filter it bends 90 degrees then goes back into the pool.

My understanding I need to use as few 90's as possible since they restrict flow. However, should the pipe coming out of the skimmer just run at a 45 degree angle, or should it be done another way?
    13,000 gallon ABG with Hayward 1 1/2 HP pump, DE filter, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Piping

Using 90s isn't such a bad thing in a typical AGP install, as long as you do not have very long runs to the pump. Also remember to use unions (they are your friend when maintenance/winterizing is required )

Plenty of examples if you search the is one

finally-plumbed-my-agp-with-pvc-t20041.html?hilit=hard pipe
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator