Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Foam bottoms?

1. Back To Top    #1

Foam bottoms?

I am about to put up a 24' above ground and would like some suggestions on the foam floors. I am getting my pool dug out about 2-2.5ft and then compacted. I was looking into the gorilla floor bottom but have read that it isnt to thick and then I read about "Pink Foam" is this just something I can get from my local home depot? How thick is everyone using? And can I get by without sand if I have a foam bottom and stick on foam cove?
    24' Round Above ground 13,500 gallons
    1.5 HP pump.
    Vinyl Liner
    150sqft Cartridge Filter
    Bottom Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Foam bottoms?

I used the pink inulsulation foam (polystyrene) on my pool bottom and foam coves and it worked great. It has a nice feel on the feet...ohhh and it was cheap! I did not use sand. I used 1.5 inch thick foam. If you are using an overlap liner, then you should be good to go. If you are using a beaded or jhook liner...you may want to go with 2 inch since that is the typical minimum sand base thickness they are assuming will be used.

Are you digging out a deep end? If you are, I can let you know how I dealt with that in relation to the foam.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

So you must have taped the seams together right? If so what kind of tape?

I think Im going with a bead liner for the look.

And no I dont think Ill be adding a deep end. But it is something to think about.
    24' Round Above ground 13,500 gallons
    1.5 HP pump.
    Vinyl Liner
    150sqft Cartridge Filter
    Bottom Drain

4. Back To Top    #4

I taped with duct tape. Make sure not not get any wrinkles/bunching in the tape...they will show up.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Linen,
    If you have any pic's of how you did your deepened bottom would be great to look at!
    I'm digging out now for my Princeton 21' using a 20 gauge 72" expandable overlap liner and trying to find out how to do the floor as I want to max out as big and deep as I can possibly go! I'm thinking I will need to bury it some so I can go deep as possible at the walls.
    Have you seen anyone use a bigger pad like a 24' for a 21' to use for deep center? Will pads wrinkle when used with deepened center?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by supertune
    Linen,
    If you have any pic's of how you did your deepened bottom would be great to look at!
    I'm digging out now for my Princeton 21' using a 20 gauge 72" expandable overlap liner and trying to find out how to do the floor as I want to max out as big and deep as I can possibly go! I'm thinking I will need to bury it some so I can go deep as possible at the walls.
    Have you seen anyone use a bigger pad like a 24' for a 21' to use for deep center? Will pads wrinkle when used with deepened center?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

Chuck
    Split to this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/post335414.html#p335414