CSPC36, Shld I buy new cell - Controller wire is melted.

Apr 23, 2008
Hi All,

We have obtained a used CSPC36 with a burnt cell. Is it worth buying a new cell at about $400 for this? does the cell come with a warranty or guarantee?

The original owner experienced a short in the end with the elec connection. The controller seems fine but the wire is melted on the end (round plug), I would just cut it and get connections to the new cell. Do you think it is worth fixing? I think if I buy a new cell and fabricate a cap for the end of the cell for moisture or even purchase a new wire.

I just cant see spending $400 for a unit that would not have any guarantee, I would rather buy a new unit...

The pool is 25k gal in ground.

thanks in advance for any advice

Re: CSPC36, Shld I buy new cell - Controller wire is melted

Well keep in mind that an abnormal amount of electricity had to pass through that wire and anything preceding it to get there. It could be fine for a day, a month a year or you could hook it up and fry another cell. If you shop around you should be able to find the controller and cell new for 5-600 at the most, now if you buy a new cell 350.00 and it burns up, and then you buy a new controller/cell your now in the at very least 8-900 dollar range not counting plumbing, electrical, time and any other odds and ends. So in short if* it burned up the new cell, you could have gotten a much better unit for what you would wind up spending to replace everything. Spend the extra money and buy yourself some peace of mind and save in the long term ;)

Those cells have a fairly good amount of current flowing through them and if a loose connection occurs it will burn the connector and the wiring. The controller is usually still good and buying a new cell and cable is usually a good investment. Depending on how bad the cell connector is, you could even try making a new connection to it just to see if everything worked before buying a new cell.

Hi All,

I have an email into compupool at this time.. I am a little worried about spending monies on a new cell only but it seems like the cell has its own warranty. Would I void it if I hook it up? Seems awful expensive for the cell.

The wire is deformed a little at the round part only.... so I was hoping the controller was ok. I will ask compu pool how to diagnose it if possible.

So are you suggesting I can test it buy supply power and hook it up to the old burnt cell, while looking at the controller to see if it reacts? try to turn on and off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.