Doing my first tests and I have some questions

I did the CC test. I added the 5 drops of R-0003 and the mixture was clear, showing 0 CC. I got busy doing something else and didn't clean out the tube. A half hour later I noticed the mixture had turned pink. Does this mean anything?

I have some old baking soda that I left outside and it is now in a hard block form. Should if I put this in the skimmer basket while pump is running and let it slowly dissolve there, or just throw it in the pool and let it sit on the bottom and slowly disolve.

Throwing it in the pool won't hurt anything. I try not to run much of anything through my skimmer/pump/filter. If you are paranoid about it, you can fill a 5 gal bucket full of pool water and dissolve it in there before putting it in.

When you do the FC test, it says to use a heaping scoop of R-870 powder. The size of a heaping scoop is never exactly the same from test to test. It seems that the size of a heaping scoop could easily vary by 5-10%. Does this throw the test results off?

I am especially wondering about the OCLT, where the difference between the night and morning results has to be measured and compared. A 5% difference in results based on a 5% difference in the size of a "heaping scoop" could make the OCLT results meaningless.

it is the UV rays that break down the FC. However, warmer water is more helpful for algae to grow so more FC is also used to fight organics.

Read the Extended Testing Directions that is a sticky in the Testing forum. The size of the powder scoop does not matter as long as you use enough. If you have high FC due to shocking you may need to use 2 scoops, but 1 scoop is fine for normal FC levels.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just read through this thread and noticed something at the very beginning... back in June.

The pool is at 40ppm CYA. Yet when results were posted FC is 3ppm. Peeps here say that's great, perfect.

But 3ppm is the minimum for 40ppm CYA. It's an end of the day number if you're using bleach. If the pool is 3ppm, any... ANY loss in chlorine during the day results in a below minimum FC level. That's not good.

At 40ppm you want to either end the day or start it (before sun hits the pool) at 7ppm FC. Only at the end of the day should the FC be anywhere near 3ppm, and 3.5ppm is far safer.

While it's been a while since the results were posted, it isn't clear if you've changed your dosing schedule and targets so I figured I'd put it out there.

But 3ppm is the minimum for 40ppm CYA. It's an end of the day number if you're using bleach. If the pool is 3ppm, any... ANY loss in chlorine during the day results in a below minimum FC level. That's not good.

You are correct, and that is my problem. I just realized that a few days ago when the algae came back. Thanks for verifying.

Hmmm ... not sure how I overlooked that way back in April. :oops:
I think we all got sidetracked in other discussions about CSI, etc.

Definitely want to consult the CYA/FC chart in Pool School and stay above that minimum at all times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.