Weird pressure behavior after adding DE to sand filter?

Jun 6, 2011
French Camp, CA
I added DE to my sand filter---enough to raise pressure 1 psi (from 10 psi to 11 psi). This took 7 cups DE---I have a larger sand filter. For the rest of that day, the pressure crept up slowly, as the pool got noticeably clearer---nice! By the end of the day the pressure got up to 18 psi, and I anticipated backwashing the next day. But when the pump started the next morning (timer shuts it off at night), the pressure was back to ~12 psi, without a backwash! Is this normal? I wonder why the pressure dropped. Pump speed and valve settings did not change.

Big improvement in pool clarity, but I'm curious about the pressure.

Also, I assume all the DE is flushed out whenever I do a backwash?

Thanks for any info--

Dave

I've added DE to a 24" sand filter for the last couple of years, a few hours before backwashing. As you say it clarifies the water very well. I only put one or two large cup fulls in and within a few hours the pressure is right up in the red.

I've always backwashed straight away so can only assume that there has been a little backflow in shutting the pump off enough to disturb the DE layer and create a path through.

Having opened and checked my sand filter after backwashing all traces of DE are have been gone.

Hope that helps a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.