Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wedding Cake Steps

1. Back To Top    #1

Wedding Cake Steps

I have a set of these steps that I am quite displeased with. They are very unstable in the pool. They rock when you step on the top step getting into the pool and that is just not right. I think that part of the problem is that I do not yet have the deck anchor installed and secured. Im sure that this will help but not sure if it will solve the issue completely. The steps have three sand containers under them screwed to the inside of the steps which raise them up a bit and serve as feet for the steps to rst on as opposed to the edge of the pool steps sitting on the liner. I supposr that protects the liner somewhat but it makes for a unstable situation as well. Anyone know if the deck handrail anchor piece will solve this problem when screwed to the deck or do I need to take further actions to remedy the situation? Thanks for any advice.
    27 foot round above ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wedding Cake Steps

Tell us what brand and model you have. There are lots of different designs even with the same mfg. It sounds like you could benefit from some more weight higher in the unit. Also, post a pic of the steps you have if you can.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is a link to the manufacturer website and the only picture of the steps is at the bottom. Its the wedding cake II picture number 4. http://www.lumi-o.com/index.php?content ... lang=en-CA

I have not actually attached the anchor to the deck as we had not built the deck compleatly where the steps would attach last season so I wonder if this will be the item needed to make the steps stable.

4. Back To Top    #4

I definitely think you'd benefit from more weight higher in the steps. The anchor will help but more weight will be better.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I did forget to add that the top step is fitted with a drop in center that is filled with sand in addition to the 3 attached to the bottom. I hope attaching the step to the deck helps becaus it is just not safe otherwise.

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you fill them with water after you packed all the sand you could get into them? That makes a big difference.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Wedding Cake Steps

Won't the water create mold and algae? My steps need 3 bags of playsand which I add each into 3 large ziplock bags. Inevitably the bags seem to leak and the **** forms inside
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

I added a cup of bleach to each step weight as I filled them and two years later they don't have any algae. My steps are Lumi-o and have the molded steps that get filled to weigh the steps down and they're sealed with a plug so that helps.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

use pea gravel instead of sand

10. Back To Top    #10

Good idea on the gravel,, I have lots of that!!
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did not fill with water and that is something that I think could make a difference, and I will try that as well as add some chlorine.

12. Back To Top    #12

I got about 3 gallons of water in each of mine after they were packed with sand so that works out to about 25 lbs of bouyancy per step if I hadn't added the water. If you used pea gravel instead of sand and no water it would even be worse because sand is heavier than pea gravel.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I have those same steps and i had the same problem before i secured the rail support arm to my deck and it really helped out a lot. You have to remember that they will never be or feel like a poured concrete solid step, you are always going to feel some movement.
    I also filled my 3 lower chambers and my top drop in step with pea gravel and it worked out ok.
    I am still looking for an extra support arm if anyone whats to get rid of one or knows where i can get one.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

14. Back To Top    #14

Your anchor strap looks very nice the way you have custom fit the unit to the top rail of the pool. You say you need another one of these ? Did the one in the picture break? Was it too weekened by the cut? Or are you adding another?

15. Back To Top    #15

It was weakend a little by cutting the top rail profile into it, but it got cracked when someone stepped on it during a Rum Runner weekend!
    So i am looking for another one to replace it.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps

16. Back To Top    #16

What do you do in the winter? with the handle rail? WE have the same set of steps and ours keeps shifting and then they are almost impossible to get out when we winterize?
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    3/4 horsepower Dough Boy PowerPak II pump
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

17. Back To Top    #17

This year I left them in for the first time. Removed the top step and rail and put the cover on. It worked out well, I will never take them out again for the winter.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps