Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low water over winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Low water over winter

Hello,

When my pool closed in October the water was 4-6 inches from the top. Over the winter it has slowly leaked down to around 6 inches below the swimout. It has held at this level for the last month or so. Should I be concerned? What is the likely cause of this? Liner tear? The cover is 3-4 feet deep with water.

I just contracted with my paver guy for the patio build and I want to make sure I am clear before construction begins.

Any help appreciated. TIA
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low water over winter

Your leak is probably just above the current water line. If you take the cover off you can fill the pool up a couple of inches and do a dye test around any seams or openings if you don't see an obvious hole.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the water level at the level of the light or returns perhaps? This could indicate a Leak as zea said at one of these locations or in the liner.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have 3-4 feet of water on top of the cover, the water loss in the pool is most likely caused by displacement. Could be a hole in the cover and water from the pool is being pushed up onto the top of the cover as well.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Low water over winter

Rob - the water level is definitely below any returns I guess it is low enough that it could be at the top of a light. Definitely not lower than a light
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Low water over winter

7. Back To Top    #7

Low water over winter

8. Back To Top    #8

Low water over winter

It is way too early to open. Should I do anything now? The paver guys start in March, can I open in March or am I asking for trouble?

9. Back To Top    #9

If there is a leak, its probably not in the plumbing. If the returns and suction lines have been plugged off since october, and you did lose all that water to a leak, its either the liner or the light niche.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

Low water over winter

I seriously can't wait to have the deck on and then get a real cover.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by BigJD
    It is way too early to open. Should I do anything now? The paver guys start in March, can I open in March or am I asking for trouble?
    If you were to open in march, you just need to be sure that your pump is running anytime you have ambient temps below freezing. Also you will want to cover your equipment pad with something to help to hold in heat. I am using the fabric from an old 9' market umbrella that the frame broke on. It has worked great it is like a heavy duty drop cloth tarp, but i think you can pick up a cloth tarp in the paint section at home depot or lowes. My pool has been open all year and I just have the pump run at night and when the temps are expected to be cooler. But, from following your build I know you live waaaaay north from me... Plus we have had a very mild winter, my pool temp has barely dipped below 50*.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Low water over winter

No visible liner issues. Based on the water level I am guessing it is a light niche thing.

13. Back To Top    #13

Low water over winter

And on the plus side my water looked awesome until we pumped the cover water into it. But even still not bad!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by BigJD
    No visible liner issues. Based on the water level I am guessing it is a light niche thing.
    I agree. You can see the light fixture right at the water level. It appears you can still dig down behind it if needed to repair the seal on the fixture. Best to get it done before you have the pavers down.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

It is most likely the conduit from the niche from the looks of it. It appears to be at the level of the bung on the back. Could be the threaded joint or a glue joint
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

16. Back To Top    #16

Could be the housing. If the put the screws in too tight, and really cranked on them, it could have cracked. Thats what happened to mine. A little epoxy and it was good as new. Either way, its an easy fix.

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Yes easy fix before decking is done.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp
    Yes easy fix before decking is done.
    Mine was fixed after the deck. Still an easy fix.

19. Back To Top    #19

Low water over winter

Okay I come home today to find both lights out of the niches and my control panel taken apart. So I am feeling like I need to get concerned ...

20. Back To Top    #20

They just pulled the lights since thats where they think the leak is. Not sure why the control panel is apart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast