How to remove Kool Crete

Jun 28, 2011
Our pool is somewhere between 20 to 30 years old. It has white Kool Crete on the decking, which I am assuming is just as old. It is has some chips in some areas, but it generally just does not look good. It is type with the textured surface (kind of looks like a heavy knock down texture) and it holds dirt in the low areas and always looks bad. I would not mind having this coating or a similar coating in a different color with an even texture - no pits. I picture something with a smother finish like stucco. Is there a product like that? Can I go over the existing Kool Crete or should I remove it? I also like the look of stamped concrete, but was kind of hoping for an easier DIY job. If I do need to remove the Kool Crete, then how do I do about it? It seems pretty attached, but it is a very thin coat. Thanks.

I have removed this in the line of work on a couple of occasions. If in fact it was installed right you will be grinding it off. Its a two person job if you want to not stop every 35 seconds to sweep the dust off yourself. If your lucky and they did a cruddy job it will either pressure wash off your you can get a hammer drill in hammer mode with a 3"-4"wide chisel and remove fairly good size chunks at a time. If you go the chisel route remember always go in from outside edges so you dont blow a chunk of the corner off.

I second the pressure washer idea! Just make sure to start with one of the wider-fanned tips (usually green or yellow in color). Also, start spraying a good distance away from the surface, and slowly move the wand closer to the deck.

What is under the KoolDeck?

blakej said:
I second the pressure washer idea! Just make sure to start with one of the wider-fanned tips (usually green or yellow in color). Also, start spraying a good distance away from the surface, and slowly move the wand closer to the deck.

What is under the KoolDeck?
right on the money and if the back can take it about 15 to 25 degree angle lifts off bigger pieces so your not picking bits out of your yard for years, a 100$ roll of visqueen and some tent stakes will make cleanup a breeze while protecting landscaping, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure, if we can organized enought to tackle the project. My husband is finishing up redoing the wood deck adjacent to the Kool deck. Hopefully, we can test out the pressure washer in the next few weeks. Anyone have any ideas on what surface we should put down to replace the Kool deck?

Thanks to everyone that responded. My husband doesn't seem to want to tackle this project, and he just got an unexpected bonus from work. So, I guess we are going to look for a contractor to help us out. We are in the Austin, TX area if anyone knows of a good one.

Hate to respond to a several month old thread, but I ran across and was wondering if you ever had this work done?

I ask because I have a 35 year old pool and when I had it refinished 8 years ago (maybe 9 or 10-time flies!!!) I wanted to do exactly what you are wanting to do. Here came the catch--the original Kool Crete got its cooling properties from ASBESTOS!!! So, the bad news is that anything it was replaced with would not stay as cool in the Texas heat. The worse news, most places would not even touch the job of removing the old. Those that did, said it would be an expensive process because unless you find someone working under the radar and willing to skirt the regulations, there is federal red tape involved in any project that requires asbestos removal.

Now you said 20-30 years old. If it is 20, it may not be the original stuff and no worries. If it is 30, it very well could be the original stuff and there could be complications and more cost than you expect. Certainly, if you go back to your original plan and try to tackle yourself, make sure you know what the stuff is and you protect yourself with proper respirators. As you may well know, the last thing you want is to inhale asbestos fibers into your lungs.

Me, I ended up patching the bad areas as best I could with some concrete patch and grabbed some garage floor stain from HDepot and painted that sucker. It needs a recoat every 3 years but it really looks pretty good. I am pretty picky and notice the less than perfect areas. But few others do--in fact, when I slap a fresh coat on, everyone just compliments it and wonders if I had it refinished. Plus it is cheap. Less than $100 and a couple of hours every three years and you are good to go. Just be sure to buy the non-slip additive and add it so that the new coating is not slippery when wet. I think Lowe's, Sherwin-Williams, and most other major brands and stores sell similar product if you have a brand or store preference.

Just my two cents from my experience...

Paul

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.