Polaris booster pump sounds different, what to check?

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
The Polaris 380 booster pump sounds different, the tone has gone up higher. It is not squealing, but 3 or 4 more steps up like this and it will be.

So, is it possible to check anything out prior to replacing the pump motor?

Is there any reason to consider replacing the entire pump instead of just the motor?

Local pool store has suggested that I bring it in for a free check up, replacement motor plus seals will be $193. New pump would be $299. I don't know the particulars of either as for size or such, I am guessing there is not much choice to be made as to any upgrades for a Polaris booster pump for 380.

Check the seals. That seems a bit steep for a replacement booster price.

Boosters are typically 3/4 HP motors with impellers. They don't like to run dry. If the seal plate is intact, impeller may be damaged or warped. The impeller's seal will show it's seat is melted but the seal plate, that which is closest to the motor, will be fine. Replace the impeller and seal or the whole unit. I don't swap the motor on these usually.

Scott

I can't imagine how it ever could have run dry. There is a drippy leak at the seal, not sure where exactly, seams to seep out of edge but we have not tried just tightening bolts yet. I would need to look to be sure source of that, really.

The pump is now 10 years old. If that is near the lifespan of a booster pump, then maybe we will just replace the whole thing. But if it might live another several years then a check or impeller and resealing sounds good. Pool Warehouse Supply says they will check it for free, I hope they have parts on hand. They were great when we needed o-rings, beating all online prices I found.

DBfan187 said:
check the shaft seal, though it sounds as if it's already too late and the damage is done from the leaking

So that would be damage to the bearings? Bearings = have pump repair shop replace bearings, or = new motor, or = new pump, from my reading.

I turned it off yesterday when I first noticed the new higher pitch to the pump. Later I let it run again and it ran OK for about an hour before the tone changed.

WPS said the windings were probably bad, but this was just in talking to them about the sound, they did not open it up to see. The outside of the motor was rusted and flaking enough that we decided to replace it. 10 years old, so the cost of rebuild was too much vs the whole thing. Getting it local vs online cost about $90 more, but the pool needs cleaning now. So, throwing money at the problem was the answer this time.

make sure you get one of the new improved models

here's one next to one if the old models

2012-02-21100243.jpg

2012-02-21100227.jpg

Aww, too late. I got the one on the right, ribs on the front are straight not curvey. Installed it right away, after a trip back to the store for the installation kit that was not there.

What is the difference between new and old? And which is the new one in the photos?

Old on right, new on the left. Obviously from the looks it also has a new redesigned impeller, shaft seal, volute, ect..

Supposedly these changes were made because of the former design was prone to numerous problems, #1 IMHO was leaking not soon after installed. (cross your fingers)

Hopefully one of the Zodiac bros on here will chime in and tell us more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.