Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unexpected benefit of Borax!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Unexpected benefit of Borax!!!!

Hi folks, it's been forever since I posted, I guess that's good because my pool has been so awesome since I joined here! I was at one time extremely frustrated and fighting algae and a host of other problems, getting no help from the pool manufacturer's stores or independent pool stores, just spending money and dumping extremely toxic chemicals in my pool that didn't help a bit!
    But this website has turned that all around for me, only true pool chemicals I buy now are CYA and acid.
    Here it has been two years and now it's fast approaching water change time again. I had an electrical connection problem in my salt cell and had to repair it in my garage. I noticed the cell was hardly calcified and about 95% clear of deposits!!!!!
    This is insane! Calcification of my cell has always been a major difficulty. Two years ago I decided to go the borates route to help with algae,(no more black algae problem!) but I did not expect this very happy side effect!!
    Thanks, you guys are awesome!
    13000 Gallon Shasta Pool In Ground 2004
    Gunite/PebbleTech, AutoPilot Salt Water, Cartridge Filters, Ozone, In Floor Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unexpected benefit of Borax!!!!

Why change the water?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    Why change the water?
    With the evaporation rate in AZ, you change it every few years or get RO treatment. If not the mineral content gets way out of hand. Without my auto filler, my pool would be empty by the end of the season.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Though the borates are a mild algaecide, their primary effect is that of a pH buffer that is particularly strong at higher pH. This makes it very suitable in SWCG pools since it roughly cuts in half the pH rise at the hydrogen gas generation plate so reduces the amount of scaling there.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

No back wash with cartridge filters, so the only elimination of water from the pool is evaporation, all minerals stay behind. After about 2-1/2 seasons, the water is too hard to be able to control.
    Pool can only be safely emptied in sub 80 degree weather or there is a risk of cracking.
    So every two years we pump it out and refill.
    I'll watch the weather and pick a cool stretch in March. April is getting a little too risky too rely on sub 80 weather and by the end of May it will be 100!!!
    Gunite/PebbleTech, AutoPilot Salt Water, Cartridge Filters, Ozone, In Floor Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead
    Pool can only be safely emptied in sub 80 degree weather or there is a risk of cracking.
    Do you mean cracking of the plaster? The pebble finishes seem to be much tougher in this regard; mine sat half empty for months when the house was vacant with no problems.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

I think yours probably gradually evaporated. Emptying it quickly from full in warm weather can be bad.

Anyways, I'm going to get up in a couple hours and fire up the rented pump. I've got a small rust stain to address when it's empty, then probably scrub the waterline good and refill before it gets too warm!