New Pool in NC...

Feb 16, 2012
Winston Salem NC
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, and new to the pool world. We have recently decided to build a pool, and I hope to update the progress here.

We are doing a 18x36 vinyl liner pool. It is a "dive in" pool, so the depth goes from 3.5' to 8' (from memory).

How many skimmers should we go for? 1 or 2? I believe 2, but seeking the advice of the forum.

Is the TigerShark QC a good vac?

More questions will follow, as the build is scheduled to start on March 28th.

Welcome to TFP!!

A 16 X 32 can get by with one skimmer, but you'll do better with 2.

As for the Tigershark, the company I worked for for 10 years sold them and ~ 10% were returned during the warranty period for not working correctly (I suspect that most of these were returned because the owner didn't properly follow the instructions :hammer: )

Even with an automatic vacuum, there are times that you'll want or need to vacuum manually - so pay attention when the PB shows you how to do it :cool:

Good luck with the install and we want to see some pics!

Thanks guys... things will be slow for the next month, as construction is not starting until end of March (The day we get back from Hawaii).

We considered doing this last year, but once we got a few quotes we decided to wait so that we could handle it with cash. Needles to say the cost was a little more than we expected (not that it was out of line, just more than we thought).

We are going with a SWG... any pointers from a chemical standpoint?

I will be doing the fence, and handling the concrete work (hiring it out) myself. I am a little upset that we cannot place the pool right off the back deck, but the septic tank is in the way there. We are having to place it further back in the yard. We have 2.5 acres, so there is plenty of room....

I will have some site pictures up in a few days. I know that looking at pictures has been great for me over the last year!

Do you guys think we are making a mistake by not installing a pool light? Our pool is placed a good distance away from our house (we live on 2.5 acres) due to current location of septic tank and lines. WIth this in mind, we do not believe it will be a night time entertainement area (we have a nice large screened deck for that), other than maybe once or twice a season. At that point, we believe that the included lighting around the pool will be great.

We have also talked to others who say that the light tends to attract bugs at the surface of the water (in our area).

If we do skip it, how feasible is it to go back and add a light a few years down the road if we find we are using it later at night (not likely, as we are sleeping by 10pm).

Any feedback?

Here are a few pictures of the site...

The pool will go in place of the swing set... I will be moving that (most likely off behind the garage, but still visible from the house).
photo-2.jpg

I am hoping to put the equipment under the lean-to on the back of the detached garage.
photo-1.jpg

This is the view from the pool location back to the house.
photo-4.jpg

Any input on the pool light question posted up above?
Absolutely put in a pool light. I would consider it almost an essential part of a pool, considering that the cost is not too bad in the big scheme of things.

Sitting out by a lit pool at night is really a wonderful benefit to your pool. On the nights when you swim (even though they may be rare) the SAFETY considerations are enormous.

Attract bugs? Yeah, maybe just a little but it keeps them over the pool instead of on you if you're outside. :mrgreen:

I can't think of a circumstance where I wouldn't want some lighting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd guess by 7pm EST you're gonna wish you had a pool light. Obviously it won't be dark but for safety reasons alone I'd want to be able to see into the deep end of my pool. If you were only going 4.5ft max depth, I could possibly understand opting for no-light.

On a related note, if I were you I'd also consider low voltage or solar lights to light the area around the pool as well. You've got a pretty good sized property and it looks to be a fair distance from the house. I don't see much in the way of security lighting on the corners of your house and even if there were lights they wouldn't reach all the way to the pool. Just by the size of the lot I'll assume you're in the country or fringes of the suburbs. Wild animals love pools. I'd want to be able to light the area before I walked out to check on it. Skunks, racoons, bobcats, coyotes, etc don't like to be startled. :poke:

Got it... It was never really a cost savings thing, we just questioned the practicality of it. I will take you guys' word for it.

Now the question is... What light do you guys recommend? I like the LEDs, and kinda like the color change feature if we are going to have one.

We will have additional lights. We are planning to have four post lights with overhanging fixtures. We are also planning two motion lights in the area as well as some landscape lighting.

One additional (forward thinking) question...
Does the BBB apply if I have a SWG? I tried to filter through the info to find out, but there is an overwhelming amount of info in the BBB thread for a rookie like myself. I am still in Pool School and hope to graduate before March 28th!

Thanks for all the help so far.

Keep reading in Pool School. It'll come easier and easier. BBB is applicable to all pools all the time.

It is actually a not very descriptive term that has just stuck for all of us because it's easy to remember and say.

BBB is about learning how to manage your own pool through careful testing and knowing what to do about the results.

OK... leaving for Hawaii in a few days, and when we return the pool build starts.

We have decided to go with the Colorlogic 4.0, as well as 2 skimmers.

The run from the pool to the back of the garage (for the equipment) may mean a little more cost, but I believe it is worth it (to keep it out of the weather and direct sunlight). Any thoughts? (See pics above).

Thanks

Have a great time in Hawaii! :party:

If it's in your budget, a pool house/ cabana might be worth the $. It would let you house the pump system close to the pool, give you a changing room, and possibly a bathroom, and set up a bar/ kitchen that might make hanging out poolside more desirable than up in the screened porch. Throw in a grill and the pool becomes a wonderful 'gathering spot' for entertaining friends, family and neighbors (& none of them have to go in your house :wink: ).

The pool build has not yet started. We mutually agreed to hold off for one week (until Next Wednesday), as he was a little behind due to recent storms, and I still have a few things to do to prepare.

We are pretty sure we are going with a tan liner, but I have to let him know tomorrow.

On the lights... I *think* I want the ColorLogic4.0, but Im not sure I will get the advantage of it for two reasons. 1 - the pool is a good distance from the house. 2 - We do not intend to do allot of late night swimming. We are normally early to bed and early to rise. I have seen the light (pun intended) that a light is needed for the rare occurences that we do swim at night, but not sure if the extra cost is worth it for the LED. We can certainly swing the LED, but I don't want to do it if it is a waste.

On the pool house / cabana.... we will be doing that, but most likely over the winter. I want to do that myself, and living life on a Delta Plane or in a Marriott does not give me much time... winter is normally a better time for me!

Thanks for the feedback so far! Looking forward to Wednesday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.