Well you can see the debris issues clearly, And the pool water starts out brown/black/green every year. This was a relatives house which we wound up in, Its a very nice pool, 45,000 gal plaster, and a small outbuilding for the pump and sand filter, Diving board built in steps, Not sure what its called but there is a 6" lip that starts where the shallow starts to drop off a continues all the way around the deep end. Needless to say the person caring for this pool never opens before memorial day, and has used a plethora of chemicals over the last few years. When i asked what they used to blow out the lines with they said they havent done that in the 15 years or so they have lived there... This past year they pretty much just vacuumed dumped in hth green to blue till it started to clear up note I say started because it remained cloudy even though they shocked it several times, I am suspecting mustard algae. Two years ago he flipped it to backwash to waste and forgot about it for about 5 hours and the pool was half drained and refilled. Anywho it will be interesting to see how this turns out, I am already planning on opening early, replacing filter sand, though it was replaced 3 years ago the amount of debris and god knows what they put in there im not even taking chances with, removing debris daily, Shocking for mustard, scrubbing the inside down like a mad man repeatedly , and getting the levels under control.
So my plan thus far this is in central Indiana,
1: open in april only slight danger of frost usually after the second week I want this baby ready to go as soon as its warm enough.
2: replace filter sand check baskets, lube gaskets all pump and filter maintenance
3: clean debris out this will take the better part of 3 days as i did it for them last year, then keep it clean.
4: check CYA if any, to determine level for mustard shock also what is optimum cya level for a shock of this nature?
5: check PH, now if ph is out of whack at what point should I adjust it before or after shocking? and yes I know how to do a OCLT and I already have 275 gal of 12.5 hypo came from a camp that shut down there 80,000 gal pool and tore it out. So i should be set to shock it. I know ill be scrubbing and shocking for the better part of a week if I had to guess this things been bad for a while.
Am I missing anything? other than the tf100 kit i will be ordering the the next week or two.
And one other question there are lights in the pool thats one thing ive never dealt with, one function the other two do not, I believe the bulbs are bad.
If they havent been out in oh say the last 15 to 20 years how much of a pain is this going to be?
Ok sorry if this sounds a bit incoherent, here are my questions summed up
what is optimum cya level for a shock of this nature?
if ph is out of whack at what point should I adjust it before or after shocking?
Did I miss anything of importance?
I will be posting pics of the whole process as it goes along