wierd white buildup after converting to borax

anomale

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 23, 2011
Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Hi, Has anyone experienced this or have an explanation i'm kind of puzzled. About 6 months ago i had a pool guy and he never checked the ph. i checked it one day and fired him on the spot. 10 boxed on 20 mule team borax later and the ph is back to normal. since then I havent had to adjust the ph at all. I also stopped using the pucks and switched to bleach since then. here is the puzzling part my kids were playing with the net trying to get their tou out of the deep end and left the pole in the water, about a week later i went out and pulled it out and noticed little white clumps building up on the portion of the pole that was in the water. I rubbed one off and it looked like a small drop of dried up borax. Have any of you experienced this? or have any explanation what it could be?

richesnrags
[/url][/img]

here is a picture of the pole with the buildup for reference

Those numbers look pretty good. My thinking is it is calcium deposits even though your results would probably not indicate that.

An easy check is to remove some of those nodules in a glass or plastic bowl and put muriatic acid on them. If they foam up, it is almost surely calcium. If so, keep your pH down in the lower 7's and it shouldn't be a problem.

A week is probably a little too long to leave anything metal (except stainless steel) in the pool

I use to get a salt build up on my aluminum sollar roller that looked like that. I am sure that I have a much higher salt level because of the SWG but have you ever had the salt or TDS level tested?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It might be pitting corrosion of the aluminum. Once the aluminum is scratched, the damaged surfaces can corrode at an accelerated rate. The white bumps might be aluminum hydroxide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.