Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brush pole stuck

1. Back To Top    #1

Katy, TX

Brush pole stuck

Any idea how to get the darn thing to move? It is stuck in the shortest postion and I am killing myself trying to clean the deep end. I have tried moving it when it is completely dry, completely wet, banged it up against stuff to "loosen" it - it is not budging. My husband has also tried and can not get it to move. I thought about spraying WD40 on it but worried about the oil getting in the pool. Any other suggestions or do I need to go buy another one? Thanks!

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana
    Hot water, but not quite boiling poured over it. Next option is a strap wrench.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Missouri City (suburb of Houston, TX)
    If you decide to lube it up, you could always use tanning oil. Hot water should do the trick though.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4

WD40 should work fine, just wipe it all off after you get the thing apart.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

5. Back To Top    #5

Coastalish 'down easter'
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster
    WD40 should work fine, just wipe it all off after you get the thing apart.
    The only trouble with WD40 is that it's petroleum based and can weaken the rubber piece in the locking mechanism If you want to spray something in there, try silicon spray lubricant.

Once you manage to free it, put a couple wraps of teflon tape on the threads to keep the plastic from bonding again.
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Kenmore, WA

Re: Brush pole stuck

[I know this is super old, but in case anybody else has this problem and ends up here...]

I had the same issue. I guess I must have torqued it too much one day, because the next day it was stuck tight. I tried everything (wetting, banging, heating, WD40, strap wrenches, etc.). I could not get it to budge even with me grabbing one end and a friend twisting the other. I was about ready to throw it out and buy a new one.

But then I got the idea to stick a screwdriver through one of the holes on the "tool end" to give me decent leverage, and I drilled a similar (1/4") hole through the "handle end" so I could stick a screwdriver through there too. Then I wedged one end (with screwdriver) between a couple sturdy rocks to keep it from turning, and manually twisted the other end, using the screwdriver for leverage. You could use any sturdy rod instead of the screwdrivers, and if you can't find a place to wedge one end, just get a friend to help out.

I was never happier to get my pool pole to extend, and now I'm much more careful about how much I tighten it!
    18,000 IG fiberglass pool, 1 main drain, 1 skimmer, 1 return; 1HP VS pump, sand filter.
    300 gallon "spa" on same plumbing system. Solar panels on roof.
    Pool built in 1980. Pump, poolhouse plumbing, and solar replaced in 2015.