Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Expect to Install SWG Spring 2012

1. Back To Top    #1

Expect to Install SWG Spring 2012

I have an inground liner pool L-shaped apprx 36000 gal. Have contracted to have the coping replaced. It is currently red brick and it will be replaced with red brick. I am also having a new liner installed. I figured this was a good time to switch to SWG system. The pool company I have used for years proposed a Pentair IC-40. Howerver, the contractor doing the coping recommends I use a PoolPilot system. Which of these is better or should I concider another system?
    I live in St. Louis, MO. We have had our pool since 1997. It is an inground Esther Williams 40' LH Ell shape vinyl. I have a sand filter. According to the manual its operational gallonage is 24,000 gal. I calculate 26,000 gal.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Expect to Install SWG Spring 2012

Either of those brands are great systems. However, with a 36k gal pool you should consider going to the IC-60 or RC-52.
    Compupool makes a CPSC-48 which would also work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Dave is right. By upgrading to the IC-60, you will be able to go longer between cell replacements.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

Have you done reading here on the pros and cons of SWCGs? If not, let me tell you a couple things to consider.

1) like Bama and Blake mentioned a cell that can 'handle' a 40,000 gallon pool will need to run ~ 24/7 to produce enough chlorine to do so (IMS {if memory serves} one for a 40,000 gal. pool produces ~1.5 lbs. chlorine when run at 100% for 24 hours). if you have to run your pump 20+ hours/ day and have the cell at 100% output it will cost you in electricity and cell life is based on 3 of hours it's energized and producing so, as mentioned, a cell rated for more gallons would run less often and need less frequent replacing ($)

2) how many returns do you have? As part of the conversion from salt to chlorine the unit produces extra hydrogen gas which ends up as bubbles coming out of the returns. This can cause foam or a foamy crust, if you use certain algaecides (like the ammonia based 'linear quats). There is also the pH rise caused by these bubbles, which would require regular additions of Muriatic acid - not a huge deal, but something to consider.

3) I can't recall any posts on how salt water 'plays' with brick, but certain coping stones are degraded by the saltwater. there is also the effect on non-stainless steel exposed to the brackish water (as well as on improperly made stainless steel).

Please don't get me wrong, I really like SWCGs and am just trying to make sure you don't waste money on something that you'll hate and not want to use.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

I have six returns two of which are over the fiberglass steps. I have two stainless steel ladders and stainless steel around the pool light. The brick contractor recommended the SWG so I assume there is no negative effect on the brick. We have always run our pump 24/7. Is the okay with the SWG.
    I live in St. Louis, MO. We have had our pool since 1997. It is an inground Esther Williams 40' LH Ell shape vinyl. I have a sand filter. According to the manual its operational gallonage is 24,000 gal. I calculate 26,000 gal.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds good to me

I just wanted you to be aware of some of the possible issues with SWCG use. I think you'll end up loving the unit and be well pleased with it's performance (Just keep an eye on the metal in and around the pool )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

I talked the pool company I use and he said he would install the IC-60 but he said he thought it was overkill. Difference in cost about $300. Any final thought?

8. Back To Top    #8

What going with a larger cell buys you, besides longer life, is the ability to run the pump less and still produce enough chlorine to maintain the FC. I'd go with the 60.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd first like to apologize for my stupidity. I should have read the Pool School before I posted my question. When I dug out old files, I found the instation manual for our pool. It lists our pool as 24,000 gal not 36,000. I'm sure the pool company that sold us and installed the pool told us it was 36,000. By my calculations it comes to about 26,000 gal. Does any of this change your recommendations?

10. Back To Top    #10

The rule of thumb is to oversize the cell between 1½ & 3 times the pool volume. Given that, the IC-40 CPSC-36 or RC-42 cells would be plenty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I would recommend a sacrificial anode also
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

12. Back To Top    #12

Are you saying, Rambler, that for, say a 12,000 gallon pool, an IC-40 would be preferred over an IC-20?
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mhosborn
    Are you saying, Rambler, that for, say a 12,000 gallon pool, an IC-40 would be preferred over an IC-20?
    Not exactly, for a 12,000 gal pool the IC-20 would be fine. Going with an IC-40 would be oversized by over 3x pool size. The problem with that is the you'll have to run the cell at such a low percentage that you could lose adjustability when needed. I.E. going from 10% to 15% on a IC-40 is a much bigger jump than going from 10% to 15% on a IC-20.

It all boils down to the fact that you need some extra capacity so that you don't have to run it (and the associated equip) 24 hours a day just to maintain FC (not to mention the gain in cell life), but you dont' want it so large that the setting are so course that you constantly have to bump it up or down to maintain control.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks, Rambler, for educating me on this!

Not exactly, for a 12,000 gal pool the IC-20 would be fine. Going with an IC-40 would be oversized by over 3x pool size. The problem with that is the you'll have to run the cell at such a low percentage that you could lose adjustability when needed. I.E. going from 10% to 15% on a IC-40 is a much bigger jump than going from 10% to 15% on a IC-20.

It all boils down to the fact that you need some extra capacity so that you don't have to run it (and the associated equip) 24 hours a day just to maintain FC (not to mention the gain in cell life), but you dont' want it so large that the setting are so course that you constantly have to bump it up or down to maintain control.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.