Heat pump: Aquatherm vs Heat Siphon vs Nirvana

Hello,

This is my first post on here. I am based in the UK, and we don't have any decent forums for pools, so I hope you dont mind me looking around here and asking for a bit of help.

My electric pool heater is 25years old and I am going to replace it with a heat pump. There are 3 models available to me in the UK:
Aquatherm
Heat Siphon
Nirvana

They are all the same price. I dont know anything about heat pumps, so can't work out which one is the best. I was wondering if anyone who knows about heat pumps might be able to spot which one is best, or tell me what to look for in a heat pump?

Thanks for any help with this, Josh

Hey Josh,

Sorry to hear there aren't many good pool forums across the pond! I'm going to help you out the best I can, but I'm going to recommend a heater right off the bat.

First thing is that here in the U.S. our electrical is 60 HZ, whereas in the UK and Australia you're running on 50HZ. As a result, some of our manufacturers here in the states have representation in the UK, but not many. Sorry, but I don't recognize the brands you posted.

Second, what's your thinking in going with a heat pump? Also, what's the climate like where you live? Heat pumps operate by drawing in the air around them, compressing the heat from the air, and transferring it to your pool water. As a result, they're effective when the ambient temp is 10 degrees Celsius, or 50 degrees Fahrenheit. If your heat pump has a reverse cooling feature (very popular with those of us in California!) that barrier can drop a couple degrees further.

If your climate can support it, heat pumps are an option, but from my experience I'd really steer you back to a gas or electric heater. They'll provide consistent heat no matter what your weather is like (the weather will just affect how long you run your heater). Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll help however I can!
sorry for the novella :wink:

Aquatherm, Nirvana, and Heat Siphon may be different manufacturers (I doubt it though) than those in the US. Beside power being 50 HZ, there may be other differences due to local laws. Locally though, all three are are fine pieces of equipment.

While HPs work down into the 50s (F), don't expect the same efficiency that you would get at 80 degrees F. There just aren't as many calories to pull from the air.

Scott

Hi, thanks for both of your replies. I have read about the limitations of a heat pump at low temperatures, but they are still more cost effective than my 20yr old electric heater.

Regarding the brands that I mention: Aquatherm and Heat Siphon are both USA brands, and Nirvana is Canadian. I thought you guys might recognise the USA brands. Looks like I will base my decision on which one looks nicest!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.