Question on Replastering

Dec 25, 2011
Charleston, SC
A plasterer is quoting me a straight replaster without the following:
no new extended pluming on return fittings and equalizer lines
no new white goods (return fittings, vgb main drains, equalizer grates)

If I do not get these above items...Will my pool still function fine?

Bear in mind this pool was a acquisition with a short sale and I have never had a pool, so I am new at this. I plan on hiring someone to treat the pool for the first three months so I can learn from them and I will not screw up the plaster.

Return areas are chipped back. No need to extend.

Drain covers must be replaced. If he doesn't, he is in violation of the law. He knows this. He may not charge for it. Drain covers and any other white goods should always be replaced when replastering. I always have, my previous employers always have.... I never heard of it not being done.

Scott

All of my VGB drain grates say replace every 7 years.

I would replace em. Its not like any of it is expensive! I bought my complete white goods package for less than $500 including the skimmers (which you wont be replacing)

Depending on the pool service you hire, you may or may not learn anything useful from them. I've seen some that use liquid chlorine, and I've seen some that chlorinate via trichlor pucks in a skimmer. One of those is not the correct way to do it! :)

The company I talked to about replastering my pool offered a service to maintain the plaster for me for a month so I didn't have to worry about it. It basically was maintaining the pH and doing the needed sweeping. You might ask your guy about something similar. I can't say if it was worthwhile, I can't replaster because we are on stage 3 water restrictions which forbids draining and refilling pools.

Hi scott,
why would you have to replace the drain covers??? Im new to this....BTW. I just bought a house and I have to get my pool replastered too. Is it semi- easy to do it yourself? :whoot:

PoolGuyNJ said:
Return areas are chipped back. No need to extend.

Drain covers must be replaced. If he doesn't, he is in violation of the law. He knows this. He may not charge for it. Drain covers and any other white goods should always be replaced when replastering. I always have, my previous employers always have.... I never heard of it not being done.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.