Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: LED or Standard White Light

1. Back To Top    #1

Frisco, Texas

LED or Standard White Light

?? PB says the LED's are not as bright, and really work better with the lighter smooth plaster colors.. Not so much with pebble tec, pebble sheen type products.. The white lights are much more powerful, just can auto change colors, but need more of them in a pool
    22,000 Gallon, IG, 608 sq feet, 114 feet perimeter, Tahoe Blue Pebblesheen Plaster, Jandy 60 Sqft DE filter, Intelliflo SVRS pump, Jandy PDA4, 2 Jandy LED Pool Lights, Letro Autofill, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, Nature 2 in-line, 3 ft sheer decent, bubbler on tanning shelf, 472 sq feet seeded aggregate deck, Oklahoma Flag stone coping

2. Back To Top    #2

Pasadena, California

Re: LED or Standard White Light

They are not as bright as the halogen bulbs, and the led lights that change color are a lower wattage than a white led. The led bulbs last longer, and your talking 70watts vs 500watts. I got a white led, and its nice. Definately not super bright. If you plan on having the lights on for many hours a day, it may justify the cost.
    My pool is 23000 g w emerald bay pt, only has 1 light, and its adequate
    30,000 gunnite with emerald bay pebble tec
    Pentair fns 60 square feet DE filter
    Whisperflow 0.75 hp pump

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

I put a screw-in LED bulb replacement and the "white" (which is really all the colored LEDs on at the same time) is certainly not as bright as the old white bulb. That said, I imagine that the dedicated white LED lights are at least as bright as a regular bulb.

Not sure the surface matters as much as the color of your pool. The darker the pool surface the darker it will appear with the same light.

The color lights are interesting but you may need more of them. Remember that the wavelengths of the red spectrum do not travel nearly as far in water as the blue spectrum. In my pool the red reaches about half the length of the pool... really wish I had 2 fixtures but it is a very old pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The led wont attract bugs nearly as bad as the old style bulb.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

Fort Worth, TX

We have 2 LEDs in our pool & 1 in the spa. We're happy we went with the LED versus standard due to the color changes we can do. Kids like having a light show at times and we like having the straight blue while in the spa. Seeing it reflect off the house at night is a nice effect also.

We have our lights on a schedule that kicks in at dark and ends about 11p. Mainly since we like looking at it, certainly not for swimming during the winter
    23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 6 jets and 5 tier waterfall ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 947 sq ft exposed aggregate decking