excavation

Dec 19, 2011
Orange County, CA
Excavation only took 2 days and it is done. However, PB left some dirt where the ledge and the corner spa will be. I have seen in one of the threads here that all dirt should be removed and steps and spas should be sitting on concrete and metal. Is it true and should I make a stink, or is is normal to leave some dirt and put concrete on top of it??? Thank you!

the next step is usually either steel or plumbing....wherever pipes/steel needs to go needs to be clear...it's not unusual for some dirt during the trenching/plumbing stage to be put in areas around the work area for a few days/weeks but if gunite will need to go in, then steel goes first....your pb should be able to clarify why he is doing things the way he is, don't be afraid to ask.....paying for a pool is a lot of $$, and your PB is supposed to address all your concerns and keep you informed....if you're having problems now with communication, it will be 10x worse when you get to the complicated stuff (pre plaster/startup/first 90 days after start when all final issues are brought up).

It's fine for bare ground to be underneath the main pool structures....this gets filled in...but the surface should be relatively smooth on the ground and sides...steel gets pushed around it and then gunite poured over which forms your pool surface which later gets plastered or whatever. I'm not aware of any need to put concrete/metal in for the spa, we didn't install one here...but I don't see why it would be different from main pool. As for steps, this can be handled in the gunite/steel stage and likely will not need any pre-existing form/concrete.

I'm not a PB however...and every area and pb is different so best to ask and confirm with any questions you have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.