Life Span of EcoStar Pumps?

My guess is it would depend on several factors, not just runtime but powerline conditions, speed at runtime (hi, moderate, low) and installation (exposed,protected enclosure) and operation, ambient temp, line pressures (system always clean vs debris) etc.

susa said:
My guess is it would depend on several factors, not just runtime but powerline conditions, speed at runtime (hi, moderate, low) and installation (exposed,protected enclosure) and operation, ambient temp, line pressures (system always clean vs debris) etc.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I see some problems we may have had here with an ecostar. definitely we have power surges and line problems. ambient temp has been a little low recently due to some cold fronts. The system is outside and we run it at 2,000 rpm almost 24/7 and there was a leak from the cover gasket of the pump. Seal was bad but I didn't notice it for some weeks. Until when the pump was turned off it squirted water from under the cover. So air was getting into the system via the cover. Don't think this would damage the motor. But maybe something in the pump itself. I should take a video and you can hear how loud this ecostar we have is making.

If the seal is bad, water can travel down the shaft of the motor and get into the bearings. Unfortunately, when this happens, the motor will fail. One of the symptoms is a loud, screeching sound. Is that what you're hearing?

blakej said:
If the seal is bad, water can travel down the shaft of the motor and get into the bearings. Unfortunately, when this happens, the motor will fail. One of the symptoms is a loud, screeching sound. Is that what you're hearing?

kind of a scraping loud noise. thanks for the reply btw. when we turn the shaft it feels not as smooth as it should be. we weren't even able to get the impeller of the motor to check it. I think our supplier is shipping us another motor with the impeller attached. that would fix our problem. we also have a new cover gasket so we will make sure there is no air leak this time.

Ecostar motors have seals at both ends along with the standard shaft seal. Something else is probably going on here and I'm curious to see what it is. Have you taken it apart at all?

I'll admit that I don't have any personal experience with the Ecostars but it's very odd for motors to have seals at both ends. They usually have shields and/or slingers but they're not really seals. I say that to bring up the fact that water can intrude past the shields and get into the bearings.

I too am curious about what the issue really is.

The motors themselves have mechanical seals at either end. I have heard of vs pumps running for months with a bad shaft seal before replacement with no I'll effects to the motor. With that said, I'm sure those seals can fail like anything else.

thepoolman said:
The motors themselves have mechanical seals at either end. I have heard of vs pumps running for months with a bad shaft seal before replacement with no I'll effects to the motor. With that said, I'm sure those seals can fail like anything else.

Thanks for the info. our supplier is checking with Hayward and we will remove the impeller shortly. just need a new ratchet set with allen keys to get it off.

Let me share my experience. Mine runs at 1150RPM 17 hrs a day.
I had went with the Ecostar two years ago. Less than 8 months the front bearing failed. Motor replaced under warranty last February (2013). Now its Jan 18 (2014), the motor has once again failed. Sounds like the same problem. Hayward wont help saying its out of warranty. So 3 Ecostar motors in less than 2 years? Not good at all.

My venerable Super Pump lasted 7 years on my other pool.

I am less than impressed with the Ecostar. I really was hoping Hayward would step up with some type of Goodwill warranty. Oh well.
With al the priming issues I had originally and this, I'm less than impressed.

- Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To All Ecostar owners- I have good news. My Pool Builder was getting ready to order a new replacement motor for the Ecostar $625.00 USD. I figured I would call Hayward to discuss my displeasure with their high end pump. Low and behold, Hayward has changed the Ecostar (retroactively as well) to a full 3 year warranty instead of a one year. The representative said it was because of the Drive Control has not performed the way they expected. My PB would not believe me, but Hayward called them and got it straightened out- Moral of the story- PB's don't always know everything :D
So I paid only $80 for them to swap it out. SWEET.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.