New Superflo not pumping

flcroc

Jan 27, 2012
I installed my new 1 HP, 2-speed pump this weekend. When I tried to prime it, I got alomst no flow. My pool is in bad shape since it has been sitting for awhile. The steps I have taken thus far are:

1. Filled the suction lines with a hose until the water stopped running out of the basket into the suction lines.
2. Tried to prime the pump with the skimmer valve closed and main drain open, then vice-versa.
3. Verified the pump is running in high speed.
4. I haven't found any air leaks around the suction side union or the basket lid.

I noticed that when I cut the pump off, the water in the return line immediately off the pump flows back into the basket. I'm wondering if my filter is so nasty that it is dead-heading my pump, but that seems a bit far-fetched. I'm thinking my next step is to try to water jet the suction lines (at leaset the skimmer line since it's easily accessible) and make sure it's clear. I want to make clear that I'm getting no water flow or surge into the basket like one might see with a suction side joint air leak. Any ideas?

If your filter has a recirculate setting, set it to that and try.

How long are you letting the pump run when you try to prime?

Actually, I did go to recirc to bypas the filter and saw no change. The results being the same is what made me back off from the idea of the filter being the culprit.

As for run time, I gave it maybe 5 minutes (the O&M calls for a max of 8 mins to prime).

I just noticed something you said. The water should never stop running out of the basket when you pour it in. Sounds like clogged lines.

Ok, folks.

I have pressurized the suction lines and blew a little trash back out but nothing major. I reconnected the pump, filled the basket and powered up. Same problem. I guess at this point I have to assume a suction side leak, but I don't know where I would have generated a leak since I was only working right at the pump. Also, the filter is still in recirc.

Any other suggestions?

A pump with a clogged impeller will not prime. Remove the pump basket and reach into the impeller inlet and see if you can pull anything out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.