Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Superflo not pumping

1. Back To Top    #1

New Superflo not pumping

I installed my new 1 HP, 2-speed pump this weekend. When I tried to prime it, I got alomst no flow. My pool is in bad shape since it has been sitting for awhile. The steps I have taken thus far are:

1. Filled the suction lines with a hose until the water stopped running out of the basket into the suction lines.
    2. Tried to prime the pump with the skimmer valve closed and main drain open, then vice-versa.
    3. Verified the pump is running in high speed.
    4. I haven't found any air leaks around the suction side union or the basket lid.

I noticed that when I cut the pump off, the water in the return line immediately off the pump flows back into the basket. I'm wondering if my filter is so nasty that it is dead-heading my pump, but that seems a bit far-fetched. I'm thinking my next step is to try to water jet the suction lines (at leaset the skimmer line since it's easily accessible) and make sure it's clear. I want to make clear that I'm getting no water flow or surge into the basket like one might see with a suction side joint air leak. Any ideas?
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Superflo not pumping

If your filter has a recirculate setting, set it to that and try.

How long are you letting the pump run when you try to prime?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

A dirty filter is not far fetched, especially if your pool is bad. Remove the filter from the equation like John said to see if thats it
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually, I did go to recirc to bypas the filter and saw no change. The results being the same is what made me back off from the idea of the filter being the culprit.

As for run time, I gave it maybe 5 minutes (the O&M calls for a max of 8 mins to prime).
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

I just noticed something you said. The water should never stop running out of the basket when you pour it in. Sounds like clogged lines.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

That had crossed my mind. I was thinking maybe use a water hose to jet the lines, especially thru the skimmer since the lines are easily accessible.
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, folks.

I have pressurized the suction lines and blew a little trash back out but nothing major. I reconnected the pump, filled the basket and powered up. Same problem. I guess at this point I have to assume a suction side leak, but I don't know where I would have generated a leak since I was only working right at the pump. Also, the filter is still in recirc.

Any other suggestions?
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Like you said, it seems like there is a leak somewhere. The Leak Detection post in Pool School (pool-school/leak_detection) is a great resource.

You also might want to contact the pump manufacturer for troubleshooting (and check on warranty).

9. Back To Top    #9

A pump with a clogged impeller will not prime. Remove the pump basket and reach into the impeller inlet and see if you can pull anything out.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater