Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Professional

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

New Pool Professional

Hey guys/gals,

My name is Travis, I own a pool company in the DFW area in texas. I read a lot of good info on the site so I figured I'd join up and give some advice of from my own personal experiences.
    Check out my website for some before and after pictures and pool information
    http://www.aquasensepools.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Professional

Want to come vacuum all the mortar out of my pool?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

haha, thats always fun to get out! Even more so because you have to be so careful not to scratch the bottom of the pool with the chunks of mortar. What I like to use is a leaf vacuum that sits up off of the bottom and runs off of the pool cleaner pressure line. Most times they have enough power and enough height off the pool floor to suck up the mortar but not drag the mortar. I have a motorized version of the mentioned machine thats electric with a prop inside that creates suction that works great for small rocks and things of that nature.

4. Back To Top    #4

No pressure or suction lines in my pool. Built in the 50s.

I should mention I don't care if it scratches the plaster. Going to replaster when the water restrictions are lifted, if ever. We are on level 3 here.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yeah the water restrictions are killing us pool people around here, I live in mckinney and we are at level 3 here. What is the mortar from if you dont mind me asking? Also, if you would like some help please send me a PM Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

We had all the coping taken up, all the old base concrete sawed out, and all relaid. This pic doesn't really show how bad it was, but it gives you an idea. The coping was all loose, dangerous, and needed reseating and mortaring.

Pulling up the coping, and sawing out all the concrete made a mess. I've done as much as I can over the last few days, but I just can't get it all with what I have available.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Nice Looking water!!! What did you have it replaced with?

8. Back To Top    #8

I kept the original tile. I love it!

Here's some further pics, the mess and what was cut out under the coping. That's my truck's tire for scale. This is WAY better than it was, it's come a long way. When I sweep I will have to backflush in a matter of a couple of hours.

The robot doesn't like all that dirt, it just wants to go back and forth in the bottom of the deep end.

As you can tell, the final wash and seal on the tile hasn't been done yet.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Wow! Looks a ton better. Thats always fun to clean up. I also have an external filter and pump I use sometimes to clean that big of a mess up. The other option that I do sometimes that works great (not sure how the stage 4 in dallas affects this) is I use the multiport valve to vacuum to waste and vacuum quick as to loose as little water as possible with a normal vacuum to get the majority of the dirt out. By the time i'm done vacuuming the pool is normally cloudy so I'll let it run and filter for a day or two. Sometimes I'll even use a floc. if its really cloudy. Then just vacuum the rest like normal and do a good backwash.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Just noticed the Dolphin in the pic, Those work great too, just have to be cleaned out several times to get all that dirt!

11. Back To Top    #11

The dolphin works great, he doesn't like that much dirt though! My pool is a little big for it too.

Unfortunately I can't vacuum and can't use pressure side tools. Pool built in the 50's and there are no ports.

So, that junk is still at the bottom. The clear water pic is from last year, but you can see the bad mortar in it.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Forgive me if I'm missing something here. But you have skimmers, you should be able to manual vacuum (which is what I was refering to in the post above). If you don't have a valve for each skimmer you can use a plug in one skimmer to get enough suction. There is always a way to vacuum manually with a vac head and a hose if you have a skimmer (or any suction port aside from a drain). Now you may not have the valve needed to vacuum to waste, but can still vacuum and backwash. If I'm missing something I'm sorry and please disreguard this post. Let me know your thoughts and maybe I can tell you a way to get it vacummed!

Reguards, Aquasense Pools

13. Back To Top    #13

Robbie: When I did my coping, I did exactly what Aqua is suggesting (but I got in the pool, and it was not this cold) but I attached a nylon sock with a rubber band to keep the larger grit out of the filter/pump. I also found out what happens when a sock goes to the hose.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

14. Back To Top    #14

I also found out what happens when a sock goes to the hose.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by aquasense
    Forgive me if I'm missing something here. But you have skimmers, you should be able to manual vacuum (which is what I was refering to in the post above). If you don't have a valve for each skimmer you can use a plug in one skimmer to get enough suction.
    The main drain is tied to the skimmer, and plumbed together somewhere underground so there's no way to turn off the main drain.. I understand that to be an issue using a skimmer based vac. I have one skimmer for the 44,000 gallon pool, so no worries that there are no valves to turn other skimmers off.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

New Pool Professional

Yeah that's an issue I don't run into much. Sometimes you can still get enough suction to vacuum it just takes longer to get the job done and can be very tedious. I have vacuumed many times with two skimmers on one line with no plug before and I worked okay. Good luck. Let me know If I can be of further assistance.

17. Back To Top    #17

Can you point me to an example of the vac I need?

18. Back To Top    #18

Aquasense, Welcome to TFP!!

I like 'the cut of your jib', you've come here to both learn and share your experience
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Sorry it's taken a while for my reply. This is what the vac head would look like http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Automat ... 82701.html, you can get them from about $25 to $150 just depending on the quality you would like to buy. With that you will also need a vac hose http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Automat ... 22462.html . Now under theory you should be able to vacuum sufficiently with this. I use these on a daily basis and they will get the pool cleaner than any other type of vacuum. The problem comes in with older pools like yours. More often than not I see older pools with undersized pumps and they dont have to power to draw a good vacuum with two return lines open. Good luck!