Hate to start another thread, but---Tons of leaves

Jun 27, 2011
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I've spent the last hour trying to get some ideas on TFP as to cleaners, extra skimmers, etc as a combination fix for a pool that backs right up to a lot full of maple and pine trees. I've got a dedicated line that has not been plumbed in yet and the guy's coming to do it beginning of next week. Pressure or suction? and the add of a second, free floating skimmer? Or other ideas that help me stay ahead of the trees. I already use a leaf cover in the fall and boy does it accumulate some weight after a week or so.

I'm not under the allusion that a fix will allow me to throw away the leaf net, but I need a better system. Again the primary concern is leaves, leaves, leaves. Thx, SR

My pool is a leaf magnet rivaling yours, I'll bet. Sorry to say BY FAR the best thing I have found for the HUGE volume I have is a leaf rake. The one I currently own costs North of $100 bucks but you will never regret getting a good, very large one.

If your pool is like mine, nothing "automated" will touch it.

The device Robbie H mentions I will sell to you for $5.00 (If I can still find it)........it simply doesn't have the capacity I need although I am sure it will work on less volume.

Keep in mind I do not have any pressure or suction ports on my pool. I have to use this with a water hose, I haven't found a better solution. If you have something better Dave, I'm all ears!

Here is an overhead view of my pool in the WINTERTIME. Many of those trees you see without leaves are well over 40' tall. Two are walnut trees, 6 pecans, there's a nice red oak to the right side of the pool that loves to fill the pool with leaves, some elms, a pine tree to the left... you get the idea, we fish a lot of leaves out of our big pool.

pool-1.jpg

I was afraid that with so much at certain times of the year, there might be nothing "automatic" that can be done. What about for off peak, suction side cleaners? Still leaves, acorns, small twigs, just not the volume.

If you go the leafmaster route (see RobbieH's post and link above), I suggest turbocharging it by running it off of your pool sweep return. To do so, you will need to buy a male connector for your pool sweep port. Using a dedicated (and sacrificial) garden hose, cut one end off of the garden hose and attach the hose to the male connector with a hose clamp. The other end of the hose goes to the leafmaster. The extra flow given by your booster pump really, really helps.

My pool is under a pecan tree, a hackberry tree and two red oaks. I was told of this setup by a colleague who worked in the pool service business in a prior life. It works wonderfully.

Hey duraleigh would you mind sharing the leaf rake you use?
It's a 20" Red Baron (I'm sure) by Purity Pool (I think).

Amazon has it. Well made. I currently use it on a 24" Fiberglass pole that is a premium pole but I think I would go back with aluminum if this one ever breaks. The fiberglass is heavy....manageable but heavy.

jkalan said:
If you go the leafmaster route (see RobbieH's post and link above), I suggest turbocharging it by running it off of your pool sweep return. To do so, you will need to buy a male connector for your pool sweep port. Using a dedicated (and sacrificial) garden hose, cut one end off of the garden hose and attach the hose to the male connector with a hose clamp. The other end of the hose goes to the leafmaster. The extra flow given by your booster pump really, really helps.

My pool is under a pecan tree, a hackberry tree and two red oaks. I was told of this setup by a colleague who worked in the pool service business in a prior life. It works wonderfully.

The Op does not have a pressure or suction port so no booster pump either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I HAVE to use my leaf net during the spring when the monster tree is dropping flowers and early leaves. I have cleaned the skimmer in the morning and by the time I have run home at lunch break, the skimmer is packed so full that it has impeded water to the filter and pump :oops: And, insult to injury, it cracked the skimmer itself. I cannot live w/ out the leaf neat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.