Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Red and Greenish yellow stains in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Red and Greenish yellow stains in pool

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to get rid of these stains from my pool for quite some time now and am unable to get rid of them! Its extremely frustrating.

As background, I have tried regular green algae algaecide, silver based algaecide and super chlorinating the pool with liquid chlorine. These stains will not budge!

The only way i've been able to slightly get rid of one of the stains is by laying a trichlor puck right over it over night. However the stains or algae has fanned out from the steps to lightly cover 1/4 of the pool bottom.

Brushing does not seem to have any effect on it, even taking my nail and trying to scrape it off didnt do much of anything.

I am assuming this is what is considered "Pink Algae" however, I see people refering to it as Pink slim and it does not feel slimy at all.

Unfortunately right now I do not have a test kit to post any numbers up, however if needed I'll local pool supply place to give me the numbers.

This is super frustrating and ugly, any help would be much appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Red and Greenish yellow stains in pool

Yep, we'll need a complete set of test results to get started. Post those up and you'll get lots of help.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Phoenix, AZ

Based on the picture, this looks more likely to be a metal stain. NaturalChemistry recommended the following test:
    Take a vitamin c tablet and apply onto stained area. If the stain is removed or lightened by the vitamin c tablet then StainFree should work
    EDIT: (we prefer you not link to off site documents that promote specific products.)-Lershac

The full doc has the rest of the steps they recommend for treating the stains, and preventing recurrence.

There are a few different approaches to solving it, but identifying the type of problem is an excellent starting point.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply, I tried rubbing a vitamin C tab into the stain and it did not make any noticeable change.

I'll try to get some numbers and post them up.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I have the test kit on order, once I get it in I will post up the numbers.

Those stains really are a heck of a it somewhat of a clue that the only way ive been able to loosen it up is by laying a tri-chlor puck right over it?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Tucson, AZ

You said in your first post that putting a trichlor puck on it helped, so it's organic and not a metal stain. That means that chlorine will eventually remove it (good news!). Test results are still needed, but I expect you'll need to shock your pool (see the instructions in Pool School).
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Everyone,

So I got these numbers back from Pinch a Penny....

Total Chlorine: 4.0 ppm
    Free Chlorine: 4.0 ppm
    Combined Chlorine: 0.0 ppm
    ph: 7.6
    Total Alkalinity: 125 ppm
    Calcium Hardness: 175 ppm
    Stabilizer: 20 ppm
    Dissolved Solids: 2200 ppm

Gotta say thanks for everyone's help in advance! This is a great site!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Baton Rouge, LA

Ya know that doesn't look like algae, but mor like something that was dropped on the pool and stained it. I wonder what?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

9. Back To Top    #9

Wish I knew what it was....why would it only disappear with a puck on top of it?

Is there any way to know for sure whether its algae or something else?

10. Back To Top    #10

Also, the picture I posted is only a picture of one of the spots on the step of the pool.

On the actual floor of the pool, the stains are there just not as dark as the one in the picture, on the floor it kind of looks like whatever it is fanned out. I'll try to get a broader picture tomorrow during daylight.

11. Back To Top    #11

If your ready to throw in the towel on products... you could have the pool drained and acid washed.

Btw, did you move into this house with this problem? or did it develop over time?

12. Back To Top    #12
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I had a stain that looked similar, but a different color. We had a block wall built to replace the old wooden fence. Some dirt got in the pool, and some pieces of something iron. I had some rust spots after I vacuumed up everything.

So, I put a handful of Vitamin C tablets in a nylon along with a smooth river rock, tied a string to it, and got it sitting on top of a spot in the deep end. I left it there overnight. The next day, the dark spot was gone, replaced by a dispersed lighter stain. I put more Vitamin C in and left it again, and it pretty much disappeared.

I think you have some kind of metal stain. The puck is acidic, so it dissolves it into suspension.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Hey guys been away for a few days, and kind of been running low on funds, so have not really been able to work on the stains.

I tried the Vitamin C but that did nothing,didnt even lighten up the stain.

There were no stains when I bought the house, these just happened recently probably around New Years.

Now as I write this, I wonder if fireworks had anything to do with it.

Either way this weekend I plan on getting the pool up to shock levels and work on leaving it at that level the whole weekend. See if that takes care of anything.

14. Back To Top    #14
    SouthWest Alabama

Since a trichlor tab on the stain lightened it, it's organic and keeping the FC at shock level for your CYA should definitely make a difference.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Calera, Al

fireworks will leave a stain on plaster. After new years I fished a few out of our pool that were on the bottom and they did leave stains. they would not scrub off, over time they did dissapear with proper levels of fc. Have you tried MA? You could pour some MA in the affected area and see if that would help to etch it away. Do not let the MA sit there too long though as not to damage the plaster. I had a few stains that were removed by a few applications like this when I needed to add acid to the pool.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir