Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are the different types of Sight Glass all the same?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are the different types of Sight Glass all the same?

I'm going to replace the sight glass on my sand filter because it's become really discolored. I've been searching on-line, but I'm not sure why some of these units are so $$$! Will i regret buying a cheaper one? I've found some on amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/Hayward--Line-Sig ... 69&sr=1-16 ) for around $30, but I've seen some close to $100. What's the difference? Why would someone pay so much for a different type?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are the different types of Sight Glass all the same?

is the glass discolored or is it something like a buildup? Could you clean it with bleach or CLR?
    2nd Time Pool Owner - 1998 In Ground, Gunite/Plaster, 24' long x 19' wide x 4.5' deep, 20,000 Gallon, Chlorine, 2 Hp Hayward Ecostar with Sand.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-on...le-t40734.html
    Cave Creek, Arizona

3. Back To Top    #3

No, its no longer clear from the sun. It has to be replaced - its not buildup or anything that can he removed.

4. Back To Top    #4

19.99 on fleabay.

If the glass is clear plexi glass, you can use polish from your local autoparts store, which will take care of most discoloring and scratches (you can also mix cigarette ashes with foam shaving cream, not the jell and polish with that).

I am a bit confused, because most glass made today does not discolor in the sun, so I am guessing the glass is made of plastic
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are some clear PVC sight glasses. I'd try these first.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit