Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how much do you spend on power for your hot tub ?

1. Back To Top    #1

how much do you spend on power for your hot tub ?

My husband has a spine injury . He has a hard time getting out of our whirl pool which is flat. I'm looking into a used hot tub but, someone told me their hot tub cost $90 a month in power. Anyone spending this for real ? What does your hot tub cost to run ?
    Artesian pool 24' x 54'' buried in ground
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 HP pump
    200 lb SD-60 Pentair Sand Dollar filter
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how much do you spend on power for your hot tub ?

That is really going to vary by location (climate an power costs). Where do you live?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

3. Back To Top    #3

I live in NC in the piedmont area. It would be kept outside. Our power bill is only $150 .$90 extra a month would be a huge hike.
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you know what your cost per kwh is? (you can usually find this on your power bill).
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

5. Back To Top    #5

We are on a coop but, it averages around $8.
    Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

ummmm that cannot be right. I would expect something from 6-50 cents per kwh.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry that is suppose to be 8 cents.
    Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok yours is about the same as mine. Do you have a stand-alone hot tub with electric resistive heat?

I heated my entire pool and hot tub during dec for most of the month with a heat pump heater for about $100.

9. Back To Top    #9

I haven't bought one yet. I was trying to figure out how high the power bill might be. I was curious if it would be worth the power hike. Thank you for all your help. I am new at the pool & hot tub thing. I don't plan to heat my pool once it's up. Later on we want a solar dome and some panels. For now the hot tub would be the only thing heated.
    Taylor K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

My hot tub is small (250 gallons). I keep the temp @ 102*. Cost is a maximum of $6.00 / month. I have a timer on it that only allows it to heat during off peak hours. (9:00 pm - 9:00am).
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

11. Back To Top    #11

We have a HotSprings Vista. Live in Central PA and keep it at 102F. Maybe $25-$30 per month. These things are very well insulated and with the tiny 24hour circ pump.... very cheap to operate.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hawaii, Sundance Spa, no more than a dollar a day (or $30/month)

13. Back To Top    #13

For some reason ours runs $150. a month and my husband won't let me fill it up again.....he made me drain it for winter. I NEED my hot tub with my neck and back injuries and surgery!! That seems waaaaay too much! Any reasons you can think of why it would be so much?

14. Back To Top    #14

I've got a 800 gallon hot tub (gunnite) and it runs all winter at 70 degrees. Heat it up when in use and use it on average 1-3 times per week. My biggest bill for gas was $60 and averages near $30/month. This year which was extremely mild didn't cost me more than $20/month. Got a 600K BTU heater - natural gas. With the cover on during the coldest months - $60/month.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

My heating bills are non existant as I use solar collectors to heat the water.

16. Back To Top    #16

We have an 8' square CalSpa that is about 14 years old. We keep it set at 104 degrees and we have it in economy mode, which means it heats twice a day up to 104 degrees.

Our electric bill continued to increase so I put an ammeter on the tub to see how expensive it is to operate.

The tub is outside and we live near the coast in California. We will get frost during the winter, but other than that, the weather is pretty mild.

Our tub used 267 KWH per month during the winter. We're on a tiered electric system, so our cost for the top tier is $ 0.34. Our tub costs us $90.78 to operate. However, I think the average cost of electricity is more like $ 0.11. So it would cost $30 per month in any "normal" state.

Lee