Cleaning broken glass from the pool

Re: Slowly but surely

mhargus said:
Thanks to Craig loaning me a leaf filter attachment and a skimmer sock, I was able to make a first pass at getting the glass out of the pool.

I attached the filter to my vacuum hose and slowly went over the pool. Not only is my pool cleaner, but it has remarkably little glass in it :) I plan on going back over it again tonight, checking the skimmer sock for any additional shards I may pick up.

After the manual vacuum passes, I'll be letting my new Blue Pearl (hopefully arriving on Tuesday) loose to work its magic.

The saga continues...

So you can put the skimmer socks inside a leaf canister? I didn't realize that! We have our gardener use the leafblower on our solar panels every now and then and a little asphalt from the roofing gets in the pool every time. This would be helpful....

Craig,
That was so nice of you to help Matt out! 8)

future advice...we have a tempered glass patio table, we got a cheap $40 cover for it, one that hangs down to the ground then I simply use about 40lbs of scuba weights (10 in each corner). Over the last two years, with our nasty N. Texas storms, it's only blown off once. And for a little extra weight on the table I keep the umbrella under the cover too.

Glad you got it all worked out, if mine ever blows into the pool I'll be giving Craig a call :)

Nice to see TFP connections working online and offline!

Update

Well, after going over everything with the vacuum and leaf canister, I believe it got me 95% of the way there.

My Blue Pearl super ultra robotic pool cleaner arrived on Tuesday, and I promptly dropped him into the pool to go to work. Let me just say, this is one awesome machine. It gets to nearly every square inch in the pool, and leaves the thing sparkling. The former suction powered cleaner would constantly get hung up, try and climb out of the pool and cause the pump to lose prime, or just go over the same section of the pool. At $750, the Blue Pearl isn't cheap, but it's definitely a great buy.

So I found a few pieces of glass in the filter bag of the cleaner after the first 2 passes, but haven't seen any in subsequent runs. I'll probably run it once a day until the weather warms up a bit more and I can hop on in myself. Overall, I think it's going well.

Matt

Re: Update

mhargus said:
Well, after going over everything with the vacuum and leaf canister, I believe it got me 95% of the way there.

My Blue Pearl super ultra robotic pool cleaner arrived on Tuesday, and I promptly dropped him into the pool to go to work. Let me just say, this is one awesome machine. It gets to nearly every square inch in the pool, and leaves the thing sparkling. The former suction powered cleaner would constantly get hung up, try and climb out of the pool and cause the pump to lose prime, or just go over the same section of the pool. At $750, the Blue Pearl isn't cheap, but it's definitely a great buy.

So I found a few pieces of glass in the filter bag of the cleaner after the first 2 passes, but haven't seen any in subsequent runs. I'll probably run it once a day until the weather warms up a bit more and I can hop on in myself. Overall, I think it's going well.

Matt

Glad that you finally got the glass taken care of! I would love to see that Blue Pearl in action!

Craig

Re: Slowly but surely

You're welcome! :-D

Craig

Hi All,
Thought I would share this with you how I dealt with a patio table tempered glass table shattering with glass bits ending up in my vinyl inground pool.

After extensive Google reading and because draining a pool fully can leave a pool at risk for partial wall cave in or cracks.....

What I did with glass in the pool is make sure you are using a Skimmer Basket Cap. This fits using a tight seal on top of your skimmer basket and has a hole that you would insert the pool vacuum hose into on the top.

You purchase a set of Skimmer basket sock filters. Slide one over the skimmer basket and they stay snugly wrapped around the basket like a panty hose. This captures all glass fragments from getting to the pump/impeller. Plus you can stop after a long vacuum session and empty the glass and rinse and reuse again , vacuum thoroughly again and check the sock filter and once it is glass free that should have the problem solved.

You vacuum carefully, slowly and gently without too much force on the vacuum head against the pool liner. I even removed a few of the brushes so that the glass could travel easily into the hose without obstruction. You move the pool vacuum head slowly and in small back and forth motions in order to create small jetties that may slight twirl or set the glass pieces in motion allowing for them to hopefully get closer to the hose jet intake and be easily sucked up into the sock filter.

Go over and over each square inch of the bottom until you feel it is all covered including vacuuming the sloped sides in case some fragments have lodged half way down the slope.

Once the sock filter is clear of glass that should do it.

I recommend using the sock filters over the next few weeks of vacuuming just to see if more glass appears.

That is it. Please pass that on to others who end up in the same situation I was in. Takes a few hours but a bag of sock filters costs $4.99 for a 4 pack. The Skimmer basket cap if a person does not already possess one is $30.00 or so I am told.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.