Our dig began today!

Jan 20, 2012
West KY
So glad to finally see the work begin. Although it has unfortunately turned very cold and does not feel anything like pool time.
I'll update pics as the work progresses each day.

Sent From My Inspire 4G Using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329154332612.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329154332612.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,707
Started on forms for walls yesterday. Unfortunately it warmed up and rained so now our yard is a rutted mess where they drove in and out :(

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329323881617.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329323881617.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,591
Question about backfill. I mostly see recommendations of gravel. Our PB says he only uses dirt now. Says he's only had 2 liners to float on him and both were on pools backfilled with gravel. However, they are installing gravel and a French drain. Our pool is at the bottom of a very slight hill directly behind our house and will be completely surrounded by concrete decking between it and the house.
Should I demand gravel, or is it not a deal breaker?

Liner issues are not behind the recommendations for gravel over dirt fill. Settling is. Gravel will tend to self-compact with little settling. Dirt will settle like mad unless it's applied in small lifts and compacted between lifts mechanically....and even then it may settle.

You want that concrete deck (likely the single most expensive part of your build ) to last a long time without settling, separation and cracking, then go with gravel backfill.

Just my .02$

Lershac said:
Dirt will settle like mad unless it's applied in small lifts and compacted between lifts mechanically....and even then it may settle.

You want that concrete deck (likely the single most expensive part of your build ) to last a long time without settling, separation and cracking, then go with gravel backfill.

Just my .02$

I guess I read here if using dirt you should wait a year before pouring even if you compacted it so it can naturally settle. Under my deck was all 3/4" drain rock, approx 12" to 24" thick.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.