Fiberstars Lighting Help

Jul 27, 2011
I wonder how much was my pump's contribution to my electricity bill in the past ? will compare this season.
Looks like I brought all the pool guru's in this thread, here is my next step, I hired a pool guy to drain/acid wash my pool next week, so I want to change my pool bulb, Any recommendations ? Anything fancy or colorful ? rite now I have a very plain/dim bulb, and my pump comes with some fancy lighting equipment which I never was able to understand how to use it, I am attaching the picture.
The first pic is from the backside of this box.

Attachments

• IMAG0083.jpg
    IMAG0083.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 139
Re: Prime the pump everytime(pics attached)

Bama Rambler said:
Is that Fiberstar light ran to the pool and hooked up now?
It should have a color wheel in it that changes the color or rotates the color.

Yes its hooked up and that's how I currently switch ON/OFF my pool light, but I don't see any color changes, I wonder if that's becasue of the bulb or this equipment ? I will post some pic in the night.

It has 2 switches. The one on the left is to operate the color wheel and the one on the right is the power. Have you tried switching the one on the left while the power is on? if so then either the wheel is missing or the motor is bad.

In the photo it looks like it's set to external remote operation. Do you have a controller that operates the color wheel?

One thing I should mention is that with fiber optic lights you don't have a lamp in the pool. The lamp is in the box and there is a fiber bundle ran to the pool.

Bama Rambler said:
It has 2 switches. The one on the left is to operate the color wheel and the one on the right is the power. Have you tried switching the one on the left while the power is on? if so then either the wheel is missing or the motor is bad.

In the photo it looks like it's set to external remote operation. Do you have a controller that operates the color wheel?

One thing I should mention is that with fiber optic lights you don't have a lamp in the pool. The lamp is in the box and there is a fiber bundle ran to the pool.
That's excellent Info, Yes I tried all the combinations but lights never changed. so the lamp is in the box then that's great, I don't have to worry about replacing lamp now. Anyways when I turn ON the wheel, I hear some fan running, I don't know if thats normal or not

That "fan" you hear running is probably the wheel motor and it's normal for it to make a little noise. From your description the wheel is missing or damaged. Pull the cover off that box and it should be pretty apparent what the problem is. You may need a new lamp as they dim over time but more inspection is needed.

As a side note. Use a clean pair of cotton gloves when replacing the lamp. Don't touch the lamp with your bare hands.

Bama Rambler said:
That "fan" you hear running is probably the wheel motor and it's normal for it to make a little noise. From your description the wheel is missing or damaged. Pull the cover off that box and it should be pretty apparent what the problem is. You may need a new lamp as they dim over time but more inspection is needed.

As a side note. Use a clean pair of cotton gloves when replacing the lamp. Don't touch the lamp with your bare hands.
Just in case how much does this lamp cost ? Are these lamps generic or special for pools ? does it require single lamp for all the colors, sorry for basic questions. But I think these questions will help all new comers.

A lamp assembly is about $140 but you can buy a GE replacement lamp for about $40. They're not exactly generic but they're not special for pools. One lamp is all that's required. The color wheel is what produces all the colors by passing a colored gel in front of the lamp.

Replacement lamp GE ARC150/842/G12

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.