Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 280 tail sweep inop

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 280 tail sweep inop

The tail sweep on my 280 does not move from side to side, it just drags straight behind the unit. The cleaner moves along the bottom, climbs the wall, etc. There is no blockage in the cleaner, hoses, or back-up valve. There is no pressure loss at the wall fitting or releif valve. The tail sweep adjustment screw is turned counter-clockwise about as far as it will go without falling out. The pump strainer basket is clean. The cartridge filters are clean. I have added no additional weights to the tail. What am I missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Polaris 280 tail sweep inop

check the tail sweep hose for any hole caused from wear. check the orfice at the end of the tail sweep hose to be sure it is not worn or pluged.

3. Back To Top    #3

No holes in the sweep hose, not plugged or damaged in any way. Is there a pressure gauge that can be used to check the pump pressure at the wall fitting and if so what should the pressure be?

4. Back To Top    #4

Open up the cleaner and check the water management system for obstructions. It can happen often if you have small debris. Debris will get caught inside the cleaner and can plug up certain parts of your water management system.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have completly dis-assembled the cleaner looking for debris, bad o-rings etc. Everything looks ok. No obstructions in any orifice, water sprays hard out of the tail scrubber end but the hose does not move side to side.

6. Back To Top    #6

when mine did that it drove me crazy, until I noticed the sponge on the end was protruding past the end of the hose. Once I made sure a little bit of the hose was poking out the far end of the scrubby sponge it sweeps as I would expect now.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

7. Back To Top    #7

The scrubber was sticking past the end of the hose by approx. 1/4 in. I moved it flush with the end but still no sweeping action. Maybe the cold water is making the sweep hose to stiff to sweep?

8. Back To Top    #8

If you pull the tail out of the pool, how far is it shooting the water?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

9. Back To Top    #9

Holding the hose level (horizontal) approx. 20 feet.

10. Back To Top    #10

oh wow... then its definitely putting out the pressure... No idea then. Whats your water temp?

11. Back To Top    #11

Today, pool water temp is 51 degrees.

12. Back To Top    #12

Maybe it is too cold? Is your Polaris going really fast around the pool?

13. Back To Top    #13

No faster than usual. Pretty much same speed as always.

14. Back To Top    #14

With water that cold, I bet the tail is just too stiff. I would try not to worry about it, and wait til the water warms up to see if it starts flailing again.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

15. Back To Top    #15

Heat the pool up just to see?

16. Back To Top    #16

great thread guys, the comments here saved me and my polaris is happy again
    Pearland, TX build ongoing. Freeform pool with Spa. Estimate finish 1st week March, 2014
    Dimensions 37 x 24 x 17 feet. Spa is 8ft round. Approx. 20,000 gallons.
    Variable speed Jandy pump, Jandy Cartridge filter. Aqua pure salt water system. Polaris 280 (black) 3 LED Lights: 2 pool, one Spa.
    Pebblesheen. Blue Granite. Travertine decking and coping.

17. Back To Top    #17

I had the same issue when I purchased a house. I don't know how old the hose was, but it became inflexible over time. I purchased a new hose and that solved the problem. The new hose was much more flexible.
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

18. Back To Top    #18

Some time back I asked the manufacturer about operating my 280 in cooler water temps. This was the response;

It's recommended for the cleaner to run in water no cooler than 65 degrees F. This is because the hoses can become firm with cold water and will dictate the path of the cleaner. Have a great day, Sir.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004