Rainbow 300-29x

Feb 8, 2012
Latham, NY
Has anyone had any experience with the Rainbow 300-29x model? I'm thinking about getting an off-line chlorinator and the price difference between the 300 and this model are not much. I like the larger canister and the engineering of the 300-29x (water exits on the top). Is there a such thing as overkill? I have ~31000 gallon pool (IG 19x37). Thoughts?

Welcome to TFP.

You really need to read and learn about the chlorine/CYA relationship before commiting to using tablets for chlorinating. Using liquid or an swcg (chlorine generator) is a much better way of chlorinating your pool.

In my opinion, salt systems are way overpriced (the ROI is questionable) and I talked to a friend who owns a pool with a tablet chlorinator and he said there are too many negatives of long term liquid chlorine use. He mentioned how liquid can raise the PH and then it requires additional chemicals. For $80, I thought the tablet chlorinator would be a good option. My friend has the smaller Rainbow and loves it. However, he always mentions that if he has to buy it again, he would go for the higher capacity.

Just to compare, I did look at the Liquidator system but that was almost $200 and the liquid chemicals are more expensive. I can go to Sam's Club and get a bucket of tablets for the entire season for ~$100.

Also, I run my pump 24/7 because in the Northeast my pool is open for 3.5months. A lot problems I have read about tablet chlorinators results from people not running their pump enough.

Good luck with your decision. I still encourage you to learn about the FC/CYA relationship so you can control your pool. Just adding tablets is usually not a good idea for most people. That tends to get them into trouble.

Just a note, I use liquid (as do a lot of other people here) and almost never have to adjust pH I might add a cup of acid every couple of months. It also cost me less than $10 a month for chlorine.

And finally to answer the question you asked. The Pentair feeder is a good model. And of course, larger is almost always better.

Can you give me an idea what you mean by "That tends to get them into trouble."

Two questions (assuming SWG is out of the question): Would you recommend that I go with the Liquidator system? When you say less than $10 a month for chlorine, are you talking about grocery store bleach or a higher concentration pool store brand. Just curious on what people actually add to the Liquidator. Thanks!

Tablets add CYA along with adding chlorine. The problem arises because the CYA doesn't go away like the chlorine does so it constantly increases. The more CYA you have the more FC (free chlorine) it takes to keep the pool clean. At some point it gets to where you can't maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio and you have an algea outbreak. If there's enough water replacement (not through evaporation) tablets can work but that has proved to be a rare situation around here.

The site you linked to hasn't woke up and realized that there's a relationship between the FC and amount of CYA in the pool. Most of the pool industry in general hasn't acknowledged it either yet.

Also by using tablets, you're introducing low pH into your pool all the time so you'll have to add something to keep the TA up so the pH will remain stable which will add to the cost of maintenance.

Great, now I'm even more confused than even. Actually, I think this cleared up a lot. There is no one shoe fits all with pools. Each pool is different based on size, filtration method and environment (climate, tree density or direct sunlight levels). What this tells me is that I should hold off on buying any type of automated system (liquid or tablet) until I know what works best for my pool. When I open the pool this spring, I'll use a mix of liquid or granulars to maintain chlorine levels.

Do you use an automated liquid system similar to the Liquidator? Or are you manually adding liquid everyday?

Seeing how this will be my first year on chlorine (switching from Baquacil at ~25 years - which I still love except for the high cost) I will chlorinate manually. Also, I just invested in a Dolphin robot so I really have no reason to invest more money than necessary. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.