Sandpaper hot tub?

Feb 12, 2012
Hi All,

This is my first post.
I noticed that my hot tub is feeling like sandpaper all of a sudden...
Is this calcium scaling?
If so what's the best way to deal with this?

I think I let the pH get too high.

Thanks,
Rob

roberto1 said:
Hi All,

This is my first post.
I noticed that my hot tub is feeling like sandpaper all of a sudden...
Is this calcium scaling?
If so what's the best way to deal with this?

I think I let the pH get too high.

Thanks,
Rob
Do you have a good test kit? That is essential if you want to take control of the water.

It almost certainly is Calcium Scale. You need to get the pH down, and possibly adjust some other levels, brush it with a steel brush, and hope it dissolves. If it's really bad, you may need to drain it and have a pro acid-wash it or sandblast it.

Start reading Pool School. It's the best place for newbies (Welcome, by the way :wave: ) and it will answer questions you didn't know to ask.

I don't know if I'd use a steel brush on it, a spa is much smaller than a pool so I'd say drain it an acid wash it before using abrasives. Naturally first try fixing the levels to see if that works.

X-PertPool said:
I don't know if I'd use a steel brush on it, a spa is much smaller than a pool so I'd say drain it an acid wash it before using abrasives. Naturally first try fixing the levels to see if that works.
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.
Is it worth while adjusting the pH, and other levels before draining and doing the acid wash?

Cheers,
Rob

I had similar happen with a rough spa at my last house. Instead of using a big brush, I bought some waterproof fine sandpaper and rubbed everything down while sitting in it ... ended up smoother than when it was first built :smile:

yeah, try adjusting the chemicals first. If it doesn't loosen up the grit feeling then try a nylon brush. If that doesn't work you can opt for a metal brush or drain it and acid wash it. My biggest fear was damaging the finish by leaving it hazy or something if you sanded it or brushed it too hard.

X-PertPool said:

Not sure about the kind of plaster the OP has, but the materials that my plaster contractor gave me from WetEdge instructed me to use a steel brush for the life of my pool. I've been using it for over a year now with no obvious wear or tear on the Luna Quartz finish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My hot tub is an Artic spa. I'll find out what it's made of. Just heading to bed now. I'll be back tomorrow with more info. My pH was over 8.2, I'll have to look up the other readings, brain fried at the moment. LOL on the 'hot tub feature' that made my night.
Cheers,
Rob

OK smart....butt.
I tested my pH 2 days ago it was over 8.2 so I adjusted it down to approx 7.2; T/A was 120, CH 150.
Today I tested the pH again it was up to 8.0 or so again (I am adjusting it down as I type) and T/A was 90, CH 150.

Suggestions?

This is most likely calcium carbonate (calcite) scale. With acrylic, you don't want to use anything abrasive. There is probably scale all through the equipment and plumbing as well. If your fill water is lower in calcium, then you should refill to get the calcium level down.

Then, turn the heat way down, because calcium carbonate dissolves better in cold water. However, not so cold as to risk freezing, if that's a possibility. Next, maintain the pH at 7.2 for a while, and the calcium should begin to dissolve. By maintaining the pH at 7.2 (but, not lower), the TA (Total Alkalinity) should begin to drop, which will help the scale begin to dissolve.

Ideally, you want the TA and calcium as low as possible. Distilled or deionized water would be great if it were available. You can drop the TA by lowering the pH to 7.2 and then aerating by running the blower and jets. Don't allow the pH to drop below 7.2. Keep the heater off until the scale is dissolved. Hot water reduces the ability of the water to dissolve scale, and you could burn out your heater element because it can overheat when it has a thick coat of scale.

After a few days, you can drain the tub and refill. If there is still some scale, you can use some distilled white vinegar, or a product such as Descale-It Pool & Spa Cleaner* (Contains Hydroxyacetic Acid (Glycolic Acid))(or other descaler formulated to be safe to use on acrylic) to remove the remaining scale.

Maintain the CSI at less than 0.0 from then on.

*Note: Always check with the tub manufacturer before using any chemical product on your tub to ensure that it is safe to use. Also, try a test spot to make sure that it does not damage or discolor the material.

Reactions: Radiochemista

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.